Incriminating Photos On Cache Pages

5¢

...I have to disagree with CR slightly as to why sbell's recipe didn't work.

Yeah, you're right. I don't really know the feelings or thoughts of others. (Unless they tell me.) If they got offended, they weren't offended enough to do anything about it.

Some might be a bit timid or put off by the present process.

The "cache police syndrom" might be avoided if there were a "report this" button like that of these forums.

Still, when it comes to getting a picture or a cache delisted from this site it's been my experience that it's difficult and frustrating. Even if you have clear photographic evidence of an illegal placement you might still have problems. Then, it causes ill will. I know I'm discouraged with the present process.

This whole SC thing seems like it is getting blown out of proportion. If this bill is really passed what could possibly be the enforcement. I severely doubt SC is going to have a geocaching task force set up. It will just turn into a jay-walking law. And if you are worried about breaking laws then there a simple fact at the core of geocaching. It is nothing more than controlled littering. Laws are created for obvious reasons (on most accounts) and what should be important to us all (in all areas of life) is staying true to this. Littering laws were set-up to keep trash out of our streets and parks, even though geocaching may fall under this category it does not violate what the law was intended to stop.

We as geocachers on the whole follow the rules, stay under the radar and respect other people and their property. If this law passes and you are not smart enough to abandon a cache if their a cop or park ranger standing right there then it will be your own fault for getting a fine. And on this note if you pick up a cache in front of law enforcement even in states where it is legal you are equally as dumb because there are obvious possible consequences.

Now to apply this to the topic, the nature of this sport lends itself to debate on what is and is not acceptable. I myself have been on questionable caches and seen questionable pictures. I may not like these things but none of them shows blatant disrespect or destruction. Here I believe is the heart of this issue. The sport will always try to police itself but I don't anyone else will try to police us until we cross the line from slightly questionable activities to blatant disregard and destruction. So if you see a picture you don't agree with feel free to contact the person and an admin but I myself will not be making judgements unless I see severe transgressions. And some crazy person's hell-bent quest against geocaching will not be changing or affecting the game anytime soon.

I had an area cacher go night caching where he shouldn't......... nothin' happened, and I only know because of the logs. However, in a small community cemetary the cops could easily have been called - area teens are a constant problem for the caretaker. If it happened often I'd "deep six" the cache permanently, rather than be a problem for the caretaker or the town. :o

If this bill is really passed what could possibly be the enforcement.

Here is the catch most people don't understand as the reality of the severity of this law.

South Carolina doesn't have to enforce the law. It couldn't. The problem lies with the approval process here on gc.com. When a cache is submitted the reviewers will want to know first if the cache placement requires written permission. With the wording as it is right now the placements covered are both extensive and vague. Remember, it's not just about cemeteries.

So where are areas that will be covered by the law as it is written? Who knows? We know if there is a cemetery in the area. We generally know if there is a historical site in the area. The problem rises with archeological areas. In fact, many parks are archeological areas. We can run and play, through frisbees, and even "walk" our dogs on these areas, but geocaching would be illegal without explicit permission in writting.

That's not to mention there are many archeological areas where the actual location is secret. These are listed as "near" some locale, i.e. "Just outside Moncks Corner." So how is anyone to know if a cache is or isn't on restricted property?

Now given that Groundspeak isn't wanting to list an illegal cache what do you suppose they are going to do? Remember, they're already enforcing permitting policies. What effect do you think this will have on geocaching in South Carolina?

This doesn't begin to touch on the problems with having to get "explicit written permission" from many of the land owners.

So, no, I don't think the "SC thing" is getting blown out of proportion in the least.

She then presented this to her fellow lawmakers as evidence our sport needed to be controlled via legislation. Anti geocaching legislation was passed by the SC House and is awaiting a vote in the Senate. Local geocachers have been working with lawmakers to take some of the sting out of the bill.

Jeez, what's her issue with geocaching? lol! That doesn't even make sense that someone who fight that hard against it. She must have something personal against geocachers, I imagine. Well, I wish your state the best of luck on that one. Having laws put on a sport such as this one would degrade the quality of the sport, I would imagine.

We vacation in Myrtle Beach and had a lot of finds there. It was a lot of fun. I say we bombard her with emails, would that help. Subject line says 200,000 geocachers to protest in South Carolina.

Vacationers ticked!