Url Background Help!

ScurvyDawgs

Hello!

Just trying to log our first Hide. We would like to place a signature picture as our background, one I got from a clipart site. It is in motion (animated). Is this possible? How do I do it? If animation is not possible, there are stills, but I still don't know how to do it.

Any Know How would be appreciated!

The ScurvyDawgs

NS

Edited by ScurvyDawgs

YOUR ISP

To put an image on your own server space depends on your ISP. Many ISPs and most of the bigger ones provide you with the ability to have a small web site. You would use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to upload the image to a specific place.

In most cases if you just want to refer to an image you would place the image in the location of your web pages (more on this in a min) and would not have to create a web page. Some ISPs try to wrap the web site creation part with "easy" tools to use and make it hard to figure out how to just upload a file.

To find out what your ISP provides I would check their member web site and see what you can find out. If you are unsure after you look then post the ISP name (earthlink, comcast, aol, ...) here and maybe one of us can look for you.

I have comcast and have uploaded other images (not GC ones) with little trouble but it took me a while to figure out how to because they try to make it "easy" to use.

Once you get the image uploaded then we can worry about the URL that points to the image. That is the easiest part.

PHOTO SITE

As an alternative you can use one of the free or cheap photo catalog sites.

Pbase

Just for Grins here is an image of mine on pbase

52707415.jpg

Flickr

I use Pbase but have a paid acocunt. They advertise 30 days free usage but I never had my original free account disabled. They could disable it at any time. I upgraded because of the number of images I was storing there. For flickr (and there are others) maybe someone else can post how the site works and what the url of the image would be.

If you get really confused or need offline help send me an email through the GC site (click on my profile) and I'll try to help.

You should also place the image on your own server space as to not "borrow" the bandwidth of the clip art site.

How do I do this?

Thanks for your reply...clearly I do not know what I am doing! :rolleyes:

You may find it easier to just to load it to the cache page. Here's a step-by-step process that looks more complicated than it really is:

• Go to your cache page and click "upload images".
  • On the "Uploading for Cache Listing" page, browse to the location of the image on your PC and select it; give it a name in the "Caption" field. Click "Upload".
  • When the image is displayed, click on it so that you see the image all by itself.
  • Use CTRL-C to copy the resulting URL from your browser URL window.
  • Go to your cache page and click "edit listing".
  • In the "Background Image URL" box, use CTRL-V to paste your image's URL.
  • Go down to the bottom of the page and click the two "Yes, I have read..." boxes (assuming you have read them), and then click "Edit listing".
  • After the edit goes through, click "view listing" to make sure that the background image looks okay.

(edited for typos...)

Edited by the hermit crabs

Remember that the OP is asking about an *animated* background image. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot host an animated graphic as an image uploaded to the cache page. I am not a big fan of animation, but I needed to make an exception for one cache, so here is my example. The badger is hosted on a geocacher's personal website, and linked in the "background image" field.

Remember that the OP is asking about an *animated* background image. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot host an animated graphic as an image uploaded to the cache page. I am not a big fan of animation, but I needed to make an exception for one cache, so here is my example. The badger is hosted on a geocacher's personal website, and linked in the "background image" field.

I agree, they are obnoxious and distracting. If you upload the image to GC.com, you will lose the animation because it will be converted to a jpg file. A site like

Image Shack can be used to host images for free.