Adopting A Cache

After my 2nd anniversary of caching, I tried to adopt (through the official means) the very first cache I had found. I had been in contact with the owner who was no longer able to cache, and had her permission to adopt all her caches. I submitted the request along with a copy of the E-mail from her asking me to do so, and instead the reviewer archived the cache, and told me I could hide a new one there if I wanted. This Idea defeated the whole porpose of what I wanted to accomplish, and I just didn't have the energy to argue about it. It wasn't about the location, but about the cache itself. Oh well, my suggestion, just take over the care of the cache, and make a note on your profile, and ask the owner to make a note in the cache dscription. I've seen several cachers who have done it this way. Good luck either way.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I think the cache owner has to be the one to start the process through that link though. I recently adopted through that system, but had to wait until the current owner had gone there and put in requesting that I be allowed to adopt the cache. It might have changed in the past month (I know there have been several updates in the past few weeks), but if not, and if the system is throwing error messages your way, have the current owner try that link.

I think the cache owner has to be the one to start the process through that link though. I recently adopted through that system, but had to wait until the current owner had gone there and put in requesting that I be allowed to adopt the cache.

Not so.....I contacted my reviewer 'Eric88' about a cache that needed maintenance and as the owner had not logged in since July 2004, I suggested a local cacher to adopt the cache if possible. The paperwork was done and within about 2 to 3 hours the cache was transferred to a new owner.

Sample of cache transfer....Cache Page just transferred to-day

Now, if you ever have to deal with 'Eric88' he is the best.....3 thumbs up :-)

I think the cache owner has to be the one to start the process through that link though. I recently adopted through that system, but had to wait until the current owner had gone there and put in requesting that I be allowed to adopt the cache.

Not so.....I contacted my reviewer 'Eric88' about a cache that needed maintenance and as the owner had not logged in since July 2004, I suggested a local cacher to adopt the cache if possible. The paperwork was done and within about 2 to 3 hours the cache was transferred to a new owner.

Sample of cache transfer....Cache Page just transferred to-day

Now, if you ever have to deal with 'Eric88' he is the best.....3 thumbs up :-)

You're partly right. <_< The text you quoted was correct, though.

What Erik did was use other channels to adopt the cache out. The link referenced above is for adoptions between a cache owner and adoptive owner. When the cache owner is MIA, that link won't do you much good and you either need to go through the contact@ or your local reviewer.

:ph34r: