New To Gps's

Doug CRF

Hi I am new to a gps I just got mine the other day and am just finely figuring it out.

I have not found a cache yet.I was within 200 feet from one and my dog wanted to leave so I had to go,and then today I went to look for another one and it was by a park and ride parking lot next to a freeway,well I was right next to the fence that runs along the freeway and it said I needed to go over the fence about 20 feet.

I am sure it was probly right next to the fence under some leaves but again my little puppy was with me and I did not want to start digging in the leaves.

Hay may be we can start putting dog treats in the caches so those of us who have dogs could get the dogs interested in hunting for them also.

They could be listed under there own section. :D

I have a question? So can the GPS units actully be 20 feet off?

I have heard some are better than others and more accurtte.

Mine is a Megallen explorist 200 are they pretty good?

Thanks Doug

Edited by Doug CRF

A unit can easily be 20 feet off. Remember, your unit can be off and the hider's unit can also be off so you have to realize there can be compound error.

Make sure your GPSr is setup to use the proper map datum - WGS84 - so that you don't end up waaaaaay off on your location.

Your GPSr will often only get you into the general area of the cache and then you need to use The Force to find the cache. After you cache a while you will learn to spot likely places where the cache might be. Rocks that are piled not quite naturally, sticks or bark that don't look like nature piled them in that manner. Try to start out with caches that aren't listed as micro caches. Those can be very frustrating when you start out.

[Edit]

You should NEVER have to cross over a fence near a freeway. You shouldn't have to cross fences at all but especially near a dangerous place like a freeway.

Edited by Thrak

20-50 feet off is normal for any consumer grade unit The eXplorist 200 is an OK unit but if you get semi serious about this sport you'll probably want a unit that hooks up to a PC so you can dowload waypoints to your unit. Keying them in manually is OK for one or two caches, but if you are hunting a bunch it's tedious.

Please do not put dog treats in caches. They will attract animals and caches are likely to be destroyed. Non food dog toys would be fine though.

Edited by briansnat