Proposal For Graffiti

I would like to create/manage the category Graffiti (under Art). Some people consider graffiti an artform, and some graffiti is. (i.e. Graffiti1, Graffiti2). The requirements would be:

1) Found Graffiti - NOT CREATED!!!

2) Must be artistic, appropriate/not lude, and more than just some plain old spray paint.

Anyone think of other requirements needed? I'm really excited! I have a degree in Studio Art with a double emphasis in Drawing/Photography and a minor in Digital Graphics, so I think I would do a great job taking care of this category.

Thanks for your consideration!

Also as a visual arts graduate (BFA-painting) and artist myself, I am as open minded about artistic expression as anyone. However it is not really the artistic value that I am concerned with, as I know much graffiti is quite skillfully executed. It is the fact that in most part the act of graffiti is at the core vandilization and destruction of private/public property and most likely theft (do actually think they buy all that spraypaint themselves?).

I know some have the attitude that it is their free speech right to do this to other's property for whatever reason (sticking it to "the man" etc.) But just as you or I wouldn't appreciate somebody taking artistic license on our own personal vehicle, home etc we shouldn't condone it being done to commercial or governmental property.

Must vote no on this as I did previously <_<

I'm not condoning vandalism, that's why the first requirement would be that it is FOUND not created. Despite wether it is in an area that is lawful or not, it still exist. Creating a category for it will not make fellow cachers go out and steal spraypaint and graffiti walls. That is like saying that the category Disaster Sites is condoning plane crashes. Respectfully, maddlove.

I love well done graffiti, especially if it not only looks good but it is in an appropriate area (those areas that really are ugly without it and not something that looked nice beforehand)... but I do feel this is really REALLY sketchy ground.

Found graffiti only is a very idealistic rule, how do you enforce this? How do you know if it is found or made? Even if you do find an artist who is somewhat honest and won't submit it himself, he could still get his friend.

Even with this problem, you still will be sifting through a ton of artwork. Everyone thinks they are a great artist and everyone has a different idea of what good grafitti might be so i imagine you'll get a good amount of bad graffiti.

I wish you luck if you get it. I think if you do I would also add the restriction of appropriate place. I don't care how good the graffiti is, if it is on the side of the Lincoln Memorial or something, that just isn't right.

The first thing I did before I proposed category graffiti was search the forums for it. Apparently, I missed it. Thank you for sending me the old thread. I would like to get the graffiti category published. If I get it approved, I will offer it to Jake39, since he proposed it first. Assuming he even wants it. I'm ready and willing to sift through the entries, but I would be just as happy to post. I'm gathering all the feedback and tweaking the requirements:

1) Found Graffiti - NOT CREATED!!!

2) Must be artistically skillful.

3) Imagery must NOT contian profanity, be sexually suggestive, or drug related.

4) Appropriate placement (i.e. NOT on the side of the Lincoln Memorial).

I also wanted to add while Razak made an excellent point:

Found graffiti only is a very idealistic rule, how do you enforce this?

I think this problem is solved by rule 2. It would be fruitless for a novice to try and create something, b/c only someone who is a true graffiti artist could pull off anything worthy of being posted.

I thought some of you may enjoy the following info regarding the positive and historical roles graffiti has played in our society. I saw a display at the Experience Music Project Museum (founded by Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft) in Seattle WA. It's called Yes Yes Y'all. It's about the birth of Hip Hop Music. There is a section devoted to the art of graffiti. Yes, there are images of graffiti on display in a museum! The Zulu Nation was a collective group during this time that was made up of DJs, breakdancers, and graffiti artists. They brought a political and social consciousness to hip hop, and "influenced ghetto youth to turn away from violence and toward music".

I know some of you have your reservations with the category of graffiti, and that it is important to look at both sides of an issue. I already feel as if this forum has helped me think of a lot of ways to make this a more feasible category. Thanks for the ideas and keep 'em coming.

Edited by maddlove

Well, I would have to say absolutely "NO" on:

scrawled text messages

Check out the example links in the first post. These were done by true graffiti artist.

Mere text that is written or "scrawled" that is considered

artful because of it's comment on society

maybe a form of poetry or writing, but not graffiti art.

Edited by maddlove