Gc.com Map Feature Improvements

New England n00b

Dear TPTB;

In various other threads, discussion of various map merits have been discussed (Buxley, etc.). I would like to propose an improvement to the way geocaching.com presents its mapping solution.

When I use 'Map It':

(1)

Currently:

-Identify is not automatic, and when it IS used, not all the caches on the page get listed.

Change:

-Identify is automatic, and a mouse over of the cache icon reveals the cache name/waypoint.

Problems:

Now, if someone zooms out and tries to grab a whole state this way... very bad for the database, not to mention scraping-like issues. But I think if you limit the map identify to a radius of 'X' miles for free accounts, and 'Y' miles for premium members, GC.com should not be hit too hard. Additionally, if the 'Download all .LOC' type option were removed (or limited to 20), perhaps that would help the problem of issues of wanting only 20 at a time as is normal under the regular cache search pages?

(2)

Currently:

-When identify is used, the white dots cover up the cache icon, limiting 'at-a-glance' ability.

Change:

-Use colored dots that match the color of the cache type (see picture). I've only done traditional (green), multi (yellow) and puzzle (medium blue) & letterboxes light blue). These were picked based on colors in the original map icon. Obviously, a graphic artist would be able to select better colors that still get the ide across.

(3)

Currently:

-Noone (that I know of) can set preferences.

Change:

-Premium members can set preferences on which Map It checkboxes are automaticlly on or off. For example, when I use Map It, I always REMOVE caches I have found (red check mark) since I don't wanna see those caches at all when I am planning. Having a preference preset would be nice - especially for selecting only trads, multis or puzzles, etc. I don't often like puzzles, so that usually gets pulled too.

(4)

Currently:

-Currently there are two check boxes for caches you've found. Confusing.

Change:

-Pick either "List Caches you found" OR "You Found/Own*". Not both.

(5)

Currently:

-You have to scroll down, find the cache that correlates to the mapped number and click to get cache page.

Change:

-Have another option in the "Pan Zoom In Zoom Out Identify" area: "Open Cache" (in new window/tab). Then people could click three or four caches along a route number and they would be opened in another window. Saves much scolling/jumping around. Not a GREAT route solution perhaps, but for short day trips, this would be really cool. Caches could be downloaded from each cache page as normal.

Thanks for listening. I hope these changes are possible and will help improve the functionality of the geocaching.com maps for everyone.

n00b

Current:

mapissues.jpg

Changed? Please forgive the amatuer photoshopping. and the unrelated cliches

mapissueschanged.jpg

Edited by New England n00b

Additional thoughts:

1) Perhaps the colors of the dots could change, similar to a 'visited hyperlink' type deal?

2) Add an 'Add to .GPX' option, so people could make one .GPX file as they construct a route by panning the map and selecting caches along a highway. Have an clicky box somewhere to download the map-created GPX files. Obviously premium members only.

On top of the other great ideas, is there anyway to get rid of this annoyance, when you hit the back button?

Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button.