City Select/navigator

DangerJudy

I've been reading up on the same issue. Guessing that Garmins part/item numbers are in order then Navigator seems to be the newest product. From what I've heard and read the navigator files are over 24mb each. So I'm thinking along the lines of either getting a larger microSD, or using select so that I can fit more than 1 area on my Cx. this is just what I've gathered though, and may not be 100% accurate....may not be 30%. :(

*EDIT*

How large are the maps from navigator? Will they fit on the 32 mb card?

Edited by Nocturnal Navigators

The thing is, if you get City Select, and there is no upgrade path left, aren't you buying a dead end?

Whereas if you get Navigator does that mean you get a free upgrade to the newest version when it comes out, or do you have to pay for the newer version?

As for SD cards it seems like getting a bigger card would be a smart thing to do right off the bat. Is there a limit to the size the CX would take?

It depends on how big a micro-SD card you plan to use in the LegendCx. If you'll just be using the 32 MB card that it comes with then CitySelect-NA would definitely be preferred. None of the CityNavigator regions are over 32 MB (and only a few are over 24 MB), but the smaller CS regions would let you load multiple regions to cover just the area you want.

But if you're going to get a 128, 256 or 512 MB card anyway then CityNavigator-NA would work fine as well, and it has slightly more routing-related data so in a few situations may give better directions.

Is there a limit to the size the CX would take?

I'm not sure on the max card size, as I don't have my Cx yet. Should say in the manual I think. I do know that on garmins site under accessories for the Cx they show a 128 and a 256 card. So maybe 256 is the max?

*EDIT*

According to the manual from garmin is says...

Map Storage: Dependant on the fomatted capacity of the microSD card.

So I guess that is to say there is no limit on the card size you can use with the Cx.

Edited by Nocturnal Navigators
The thing is, if you get City Select, and there is no upgrade path left, aren't you buying a dead end? 

Whereas if you get Navigator does that mean you get a free upgrade to the newest version when it comes out, or do you have to pay for the newer version?

Garmin has already indicated that CitySelect customers would be able to upgrade to CityNavigator so the upgrade path is the same in both cases.

The only time that you get a free upgrade is if you first unlock one of the products *after* the nominal announcement date for the next version. E.g. this summer Garmin set an announcement date for City Select-NA v7 of June 1st, so if you got version 6 and unlocked it sometime after June 1st you'd be entitled to a free upgrade to version 7. But anyone who unlocked their previous CitySelect-NA before June 1st had to pay the upgrade price (currently $50) to get version 7.

PS.

256 MB is the largest TransFlash card that Garmin sells, but 512 MB cards are available from other sources and will work. It's not entirely clear yet if larger sizes (1 GB+) will work when they become available, but I would think they would.

Edited by peter