Downloading Waypoints....

Lost in confusion

Hiya everyone. Is it possible to download waypoints directly to map source? I want to plot out some caches that are a ways from home and it would be a heck of a lot easier to be able to see them on mapsource instead of on the gpsr. Im not a whiz when it comes to computers but im not a fool either but I just cant figure out an easy way to do this. I know it can manually be done but the amount i want to download will take a while. Im sure this was covered a 100 times but w/ no search feature I have to bug all of you w/ my question. sorry :( I appreciate all your help. CACHE ON!

Yes. If you are a Premium member ($30/yr subscription) you can build Pocket Queries (PQs) to customize a search for caches. But without being a Premium member you can download the Geocaching.com .loc files for any cache you want. When on the cache page look for the: Click icon to download: LOC Waypoint File (*.loc). Click on this and download the cache waypoint. Also, you could do a Zipcode search for example and it will bring up a page listing of about 20 caches, where you could choose the Select All, then Download Waypoints option at the bottom. This will save all 20 caches as a single .loc file that you can open in MapSource.

I wanted to do the same thing and everyone told me to get GSAK. I did that and now I am able to export Cachepoints to MapSource for plotting a route, checking terrain and actual miles from source; export the caches in Geocache form (with small hints and "found" feature) onto the eXplorist I have; AND send the same more detailed (how MUCH more detailed!) info to my Palm, which is sure quicker and easier to make note of my log info. Now I just have to learn how to use that to upload the logs themselves...

I greatly appreciate the quick reply but the problem im having is that when i download the waypoints i want, they open w/ the Easy Gps program. How do i open them w/ map source?

First make sure you are using the latest version of MapSource, which is 6.9.1 (There is a beta version out, but don't pick that one). Go to MapSource Updates for the latest. Then, go to File/Open/ and under: Files of type, select LOC files. MapSource will open your .loc file(s) and you're golden.

Does this download update Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager? This is the software that came with my Legend C. I downloaded it and tried to install, but it wants the 25 character unlock code.

If this doesn't work, does anyone know how to get Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager to read .LOC files? It says that Mapsource now uses GDB format and give me the option to import an MPS file.

Is my only option to go get Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to convert .LOC files?

I greatly appreciate the quick reply but the problem im having is that when i download the waypoints i want, they open w/ the Easy Gps program. How do i open them w/ map source?

First make sure you are using the latest version of MapSource, which is 6.9.1 (There is a beta version out, but don't pick that one). Go to MapSource Updates for the latest. Then, go to File/Open/ and under: Files of type, select LOC files. MapSource will open your .loc file(s) and you're golden.

I'm golden! Thanks a bunch, Timpat!!!

I have been downloading the waypoints and loading them onto my GPSr and then clicking on "receive from device" to pull all my waypoints into Mapsource (US Topo). Then I can see what waypoints I have on my GPS and move around (zoom in, out) and then print a map of the area that I want. I have not been able to pull them directly into Mapsource from a (loc or gpx) file.

You say you use Map source on an Explorist. Map Source appears to be a Garmin

product and Explorist is produced by Magellan. Are they compatable. I have a

Magellan Explorist 500 and am not happy with the Map Send that they produce.

Is it possible to purchase Map Source and have it work on the Explorist 500?

I have been downloading the waypoints and loading them onto my GPSr and then clicking on "receive from device" to pull all my waypoints into Mapsource (US Topo). Then I can see what waypoints I have on my GPS and move around (zoom in, out) and then print a map of the area that I want. I have not been able to pull them directly into Mapsource from a (loc or gpx) file.

Boy I am stupid. I just did the PQ and was able to EASILY pull the gpx file into MapSource.