Newbie - What Should Log Entail?

SLO Trekker

Just getting my feet wet in bench marking. The FAQ was helpful, but now I need a little follow up. Once you find a bench mark, what kind of information would be good to include when logging the find?

Also, what kind of photos? I have been taking only a close-up of each mark. I just realized in looking through the gallery that most log photos are given a title that matches the designation of the mark. Is this the recommended procedure?

I got interested in bench marking having exhausted most caches nearby, and wanting something to do when my daughter is not available. This is a little boring for her, since there is no "treasure". (She's only eight, so she'll grow into it!)

Welcome to the world of benchmark hunting!

How you have been logging is just fine. Your close-up shots are very good.

If there is a great view, it would be nice to see at least one picture of the mark and how it is situated in the surrounding vista. Others like to get an idea of where to look with that shot kind of shot, also. We normally take two pictures now, if we have the time.

Here is one example of how someone who has upgraded his style of logging. Notice the log and then how many pictures he normally takes now. He is very precise. I do not think you could have anything better than this kind of log and pictures. (I do not think he will mind being used as an example :( ).

Happy Hunting!

Shirley~

SLO -

Welcome aboard.

The written description is (well, should be) sufficiently accurate and complete as to render the mark easily findable by someone armed with only a datasheet, road map, compass and tape measure (and shovel if it's below the surface).

My approach to logging benchmarks is this: if the description is accurate and complete, I say "Found as described". If the description is either poorly written or inaccurate because local conditions have changed, then I include whatever information is necessary to enable the next benchmark hunter to find the mark easily. Sometimes it's just a matter of "Pole 18 is now numbered 18-AA123-C", mand sometimes my log starts off "The intersection has been completely re-done and a new description follows. The station is located in the northwest angle of the intersection of ......... etc.".

My standard is: how can I make this dead-easy for the next hunter or user.

I also say something about the mark's condition if it is anything less than "GOOD". For example, something like "The disk has been banged-up by mowing equipment, but the stamping is readable and the disk appears to be solid in its position."

Photos: I generally take two, sometimes three or four. One is a close-up of the mark itself. I generally label this photo "HV1234 R 67 RESET". The second photo is an area shot. If the description positions the disk in relation to a road or pole, I try to include at least one of the environmental references in the photo. I label this photo "HV1234 in Bitsko County, VA". In my description of the photo, I may say something like "Looking west along the north side of Bitskoville Road, the disk is at the white notebook, left-center. Note the utility pole at right and the fire hydrant in the background".

Finally, if the mark's position is defined by SCALED horizontal coordinates, I include my handheld's reading in the log: "Handheld coordinates are N38-50.123 W077-45.987".

That's my approach. My logs tend to be longer than average, but there are a bunch of hunters who have a similar approach. Some benchmark hunters include info about local color or history in their logs. This is excellent. Someday, I'm going to start a log off with "12,000 years ago, what is now the American Southwest was occupied by a society of big-game hunters .....".

Good hunting

Will

First: Pictures - I strongly suggest you include the PID and the location in the picture title and the designation if there is space. I do as seventhings said (except I seldom bring a GPS).

I will usually have two pictures. The title will include the PID, Desination (if there's space) and the location. In the extended caption I explain what the picture shows. Thus for a recent find:

KU1060 "V 346" setting, L.I. City, Queens NY

"View of the school and school yard from 14th/21st Street. The mark is on the step of the left (south) door."

KU1060 "V 346", L.I. City, Queens NY

"Closeup of mark."

I look at the gallery most every day to see what's interesting and what is close to home. It's very frustrating tro see a picture title like "This is it" or "The Benchmark".

For long designations, for example "BLACKWELLS ISLAND REEF BEACON" from a recent log of mine, I'll just put the PID.

Second: NOT FOUND and DESTROYED - don't be shy about logging a failure to find a mark. Say where you went and what you saw. This may 1) help others to look in a slightly different place, or 2) deter them from going there at all (unless they are glutons for punishment). For pitures of these vistis, I usually put "NOT FOUND" or "DESTROYED" for the designation. Thus:

KU4131 DESTROYED location, Pier 75, NYC

"Looking west over the Hudson River from the foot of 35th Street. Pier 76 is on the right (north)."

As for the choice between choosing "NOT FOUND" vs. "DESTROYED" (on GC) I usually say NOT FOUND if there's any chance at all that the mark is still there, under a new sidwalk, behind a new building facade, of when the flag pole is gone but the description says the mark is the "Base of the flag pole". If the structure is just gone (Chimney, building, bridge etc.) I'll usually say DESTROYED. Note that if you log recovery attempts on the NGS site, the rules are different.

NGS logs: As for NGS, I would say log them when you feel comfortable with what you are doing. Follow some of the other logs on this site and judge how you are doing vs. the other frrequent benchmarkers.

lastly: (my pet peeve) - learn to recognize a reference mark (it will generally say "REFERENCE MARK" on the disk and will have an arrow which points towards the station mark), and don't log a FOUND if all you found is the reference mark. In some rare occasions the reference mark may be a station in and of itself, but that will be clear in the designation and description.

Have fun.

Pb

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC