.gpx Help

Now we have gone paperless, instead of running a pocket query we might just download selected caches we want to do as individual .GPX files.

Is there a way of combining these into one .GPX file

or are we going about this the wrong way! Although Pocket Queries are good, we quite often dont want all the ones it generates.

The only way to combine them is to run a PQ.

You might need to look at your PQ again and see how you're building it.

Another option would be to create a Bookmark List and use that to build a PQ. I did this earlier today with Haggis Hunter's Armchair Cache List and it worked a treat.

When looking for caches as an example we might look at all the caches in an area and decide say of the 20 on page one of our search of a location we would like to do numbers 1,3,4,7,11,17,19 & 20

Currently I dont know how you make a PQ generate that result - I could download all the .GPX individually which takes a while. Obviously I could just ignore the ones in the PQ but I just wondered if there is a .GPX merge facility.

As you are a premium member, and are able to download PQs, are you using GSAK? I only ask becase I don't construct pocket queries for a particular caching trip, I just keep all the UK caches in my database and then send certain caches to the GPS as and when I need them.

I agree that havoing to do a PQ before a planned cache trip would be a bit of hassle! Is that why you want to change things?

Dave

When looking for caches as an example we might look at all the caches in an area and decide say of the 20 on page one of our search of a location we would like to do numbers 1,3,4,7,11,17,19 & 20

Currently I dont know how you make a PQ generate that result

Open a browser window and go to create a new bookmark list via your account.

Open a new browser window with your search results

Copy and paste the waypoint code for the desired caches into the box in the top right hand corner of the bookmark window and add them (one at a time unfortunately) to the bookmark list.

When you have the list completed click the generate PQ button and that will give you all the caches in one .gpx file.

As purple_pineapple has already said GSAK will do all that for you but you need to be running regular PQs to keep it up to date.

Absolutely endorse the use of GSAK - and incidentally you can load individual gpx files into GSAK and reexport them as a combined file - though why you should I cannot imagine when you can filter any of your databases in so many ways.

I simply maintain a master database of every cache I have ever listed and filter out what I want and occasionally save part of it as a separate database if I want to use it for a special purpose such as grabbing other coords from a cache page for parking spots or multis.

You will have to flag the ones you wish to use by ticking the user column for each one you want (the use column is the one wit a picture of a man in it)

Then use the filter which is on the tool bar, it is like a White piece of paper with a magnifying glass. Untick the User Flag: Not Set and make sure the Set is ticked

Once you have done that click the Go button, this will filter the selection

Then run an export

File > Export > GPX\Loc File...

Make sure you choose GPX file and also add a path and file name to save to rememeber to put .gpx at the end of the file name.

Simple? No probably not, but the more you play the more you learn.

Anyway why just take a few, I always have 500+ waypoints loaded on GPS and PDA, you never know what you might see whilst traveling!

As an alternative, consider this:

I use beeline gps on pocket pc. This can directly import gpx files. I use a PQ with my closest 500 caches, and import this into beeline.

Then where ever you are (if you have a gps connected, or PDA with built in gps) Beeline will

1 - list the nearest caches within whatever distance you like (Default is 10 miles)

2 - allow you to set a "goto" for any cache, and will then give you bearing/distance info, give compas display etc, show track on "map" page etc. (Map page does NOT show any e.g. os maps, nor allow you to import scanned maps)

3 - give you the gpx stored cache page, and allow you to add notes.

If you don't have a gpsr connected, then it will still give you cache pages etc, but in this case is probably not as good as other cache database systems.

However, with a connected gpsr, this is all the PPC software you need for geocahing in my opinion.

As an alternative, consider this:

I use beeline gps on pocket pc. This can directly import gpx files. I use a PQ with my closest 500 caches, and import this into beeline.

Think they wanted to be able to filter there PQ and GSAK is the best tool by far for this job