Travel Bugs

GOnTO

:) It is sad as I watch Travel Bug's, Geocoins, and other things that the people start and expect to potentially travel worldwide with postings from those who help them along the way, but are halted dead in their tracks. Some of these errors are due to ignorance(not a bad thing) by people who don't understand the purpose of these curiosities.

Groundspeak needs to educate new members prior to accepting membership so they will know not to keep these items, but rather keep them moving. Small children and big children alike anxiously watch and wait to see to what foreign shores or soils their ships travel to. Travel bugs, Geocoins, CA geocoins, NM geocoins all have unique tracking numbers/tracking sites that must be posted. Please people lets not disappoint the kids or the "bigger" kids.

Now for you less than honorable folks...you know who you are. Jeep travel bugs...where are they? Geocoins disappearing constantly...you got 'em. Stop the Bull####!!! Let them go and let all geocachers have a chance at the sport of finding and releasing. You know, like fishing...catch it and if you ain't goin' to eat the dadgum thing...RELEASE IT!!!!

Please...

GOnTO

Groundspeak needs to educate new members prior to accepting membership so they will know not to keep these items, but rather keep them moving.

I really don't believe Groundspeak needs to do anything additional in educating new members since I truly believe that new members are so overwhelmed by how to work their new GPS, finding caches, etc. that it would all go in one ear and out the other anyway. Not to be offensive to new cachers but we've all been there and know what it's like.

I truly believe that the education of potential TB movers lies directly with the TB owner. If a TB is released without anything attached to it explaining what it is and what its goal is (there's many examples of how to do this), then you may expect your TB to go MIA earlier than one with detailed instructions attached.

Another thing that I refer to is the proper "nurturing" by the owner of his/her TBs. I try my hardest to thank each cacher that picks up my bug and move it. This is really a good way to help cachers know that you're watching and appreciate their efforts.

Then one more thing...We all watch a variety of caches and TBs for a variety of reasons and when we see a cache log entry stating that a cacher picked up the TB and then the TB never comes off the cache page, it's a good bet that that person just picked up the bug thinking that it was SWAG. I have emailed cachers (BTW--not even my bug) that I believe have the bug, welcome them to geocaching and then explain to them about the TB and in every case I have done this the person has said thanks I didn't know that.

Lastly, unfortunately there will be those that steal TBs, coins for whatever reason and that is upsetting.

That's my take on this particular subject--bottom line: the TB owner needs to take more responsibility for their TB through the whole process.

Aim High!

Properly tagged bugs will usually provide enough instruction that the bug should not be considered a trade item and kept, but rather moved along. Properly tagged bugs would indicate that it is not because of lack of education that the bug was 'lost'.

I would rather see gc.com instruction bug owners on how to better release their bugs than attempt a 'rule dump' on a newbie who is trying to get a grasp on the game.

Let the newbie take the bug home and read the attached instructions at their first convenience. They'd be more likely to understand at that time.

I would rather see gc.com instruction bug owners on how to better release their bugs than attempt a 'rule dump' on a newbie who is trying to get a grasp on the game.

Now I like that idea. Expand the TB section a bit to give some helpful tips on how to keep your travel bug moving and not go MIA so quickly. I know Snoogans (don't misinterpret this incorrectly--it's not a slam but any means) has a topic concerning TB Logevity here on the forums but basically it's wasted space for individuals that are new to geocaching and TB stuff and aren't on the forums. Unless a cacher comes to these forums (honestly) I tend to avoid the national forums because of how nasty they can get. I believe that most new cachers place their first caches and send TBs into the world before they ever log onto these forums.

So, it seems more appropriate to beef up the section pertaining to activating their TB to cover some of the ideas that have been offered.

AH!

Edited by Aim High!

And this is what I posted in your duplicate thread:

First - calm down, or you'll get yourself moderated by someone with the power to moderate you.

Travel Bugs are set free from the moment you place them in a cache. It's kind of like letting your kid go off to college. Sometimes they do very well, sometimes they drink beer and sleep through their classes. But you have no control over what happens when you let them go.

When a travel bug is released into the wild, it is out of your hands. Some people think the bug's character is cool, so they take it. Some people discover geocaching, try it out, and clear out travel bugs from the cache - never properly logging the bug - and then drop the game.

The whole trick of the matter is that you can't change the way people behave. If they're going to steal the bugs, they're going to steal the bugs.

But you CAN change the way you react. If you don't let it get you down - and lower your expectations of what travel bugs will or won't do, you'll be pleasantly surprised when someone takes great care of your bug.

Other than that - lead by example and move the bugs you find along quickly, and not worry so much about what happens to those you've released.

A strategy I find works well is to drop any travel bug you come across in a tougher cache. It works to find a cache nearby that is likely too tough for the newer people to get to. Drop said bug in the cache. If you put it in a cache where the lower level cachers likely won't get at it, the person who does find it will be someone competent who will move the bug along. The only disadvantage here is that that means not dropping it at a highway turnout 1/1. It may mean not having it moved as often, but it will make the bug less likely to be stolen.

Markwell is so right. First off, we can't control others. It isn't up to Groundspeak so much to do the training as it is up to the people who bring new cachers into the game to train them properly. As well as the information on the website. All the angry posting in the world is not going to help when only a tiny percentage of cachers ever enter the forums at all, a smaller percentage of them even get around to reading half of the posts made.

Please respect your fellow cachers when posting in these forums. There is no application form to become a cacher, you just sign up. Some people don't even do that. Many cachers never log online at all. Cachers are like snowflakes, there are no two alike. You would be surprised how many bugs are actually moving, but aren't being logged, that happens all the time.

I agree with Eartha. Many bugs are out there moving and may not even be logged. Your bug may end up like 2 I logged this past year that travelled, I think, from Minnesota to Southern California and the cacher didn't "drop them" into a cache.

I just emailed a newbie who found one of our owned caches. He was just frustrated but then glad he found it. So, although he only had 5 finds, I emailed him, thanked him for perservering and wished him well. To keep up the caching and it will get easier. If he comes along and picks up one of my travel bugs, he will get a friendly hello email from me welcoming him to this fun version of the game.

We can all help new cachers by taking the time to say hello, check their profiles, and send along an email to welcome them to the game. It goes a lot farther than getting upset.

Groundspeak needs to educate new members prior to accepting membership so they will know not to keep these items, but rather keep them moving.

I don't think Gspk needs to educate. The TB tag says what it is right on it and the geocoins of mine that were stolen had a laminated note asking that the finder keep the coin in curculaiton for others to enjoy.

The probelm is that there is a percentage of dishonest people in the world and some of them are geocachers.

Thanks for the note briansnat. I really thought I would hear some venting about the theft problem of TB's with my post. After I posted I started to think I was the only one that that believed there was thieving going on. I realize that not all missing bugs are victims of theft, but it is happening and it is not on a small scale. I was reading the string about the proposed TB tag changes. Apparently the problem is a big issue and hopefully the tag might help eliminate the honest mistakes. Take care :lol: