Etrex In Tree Cover

I had a Magallen 315 and it was very good under trees, then i upgraded (or maybe not!) to a Etrex Legend and there was a noticeable difference in performance under trees...the Etrex being far worse. I have to do alot of triangulation now, where as i could (with the 315) just arrive at "X" marks the spot and 95% of the time it'd be spot on. But i still find them...most of the time <_<

Mart

From other recent discussions on this topic, I learnt that Magellan units tend to keep a satellite lock in trees, where a Garmin will have given up: however, the Magellan position indicated may be rather inaccurate under these circumstances. Your choice depends on whether you prefer to know that you won't be able to find the cache, or whether you'd like to be given the wrong area to search...

The new X-Series Garmins should give new levels of accuracy in these difficult areas.

It's only in heavily wooded areas that there's a real problem getting to the cache: normally if the GPSr has had a good view of the satellites for a while before entering the tree cover, you should get a fair indication of your position. If the cache is only a short way inside the forest, you can use the heading and distance from the last good signal to get close.

HH

I have a Yellow as well as a GPSmap 60cs.

One has a patch antenna and the other a quad helix.

Neither will hold onto a signal even under moderate tree cover. :o

I also have a bluetooth Globalsat BT 338 linked to my PDA.

This will lock onto the satellites inside my house, away from the windows. :o

The difference is the chipset used....Bring it on! Sirf III chips in Garmins new range! about time too. <_<

I've been caching with an Etrex legend for a couple of years. After my first few forest finds I was getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of reception. I bought myself a Magellan Meridian Colour based on reception quality recommendations from other cachers. It is better, there is no doubt, but there was too much about the Magellan I didn't like in comparison to the Garmin. A US cacher told me that a Magellan "will guess" where you are, based on your movement since it last had a strong fix, giving the appearance that you still have a decent signal. Whether this is true I don't know.

I've now found over 400 caches with my trusty Garmin, and remain frustrated with tree cover. As long as their is a decent hint and using good old fashioned "Cacher Vision" I've got by just fine.

I think the ultimate answer is the new chipset previously mentioned. I'll be looking at upgrading this year, once I've saved the cash!