Competition Event

Bluejaytoo

We're kicking around the idea of a competition event, most likely a muticache race type of thing, for an afternoon. I see that poker runs are pretty popular, but I haven't really seen much discussed on multi races. We're figuring on, say, 10 stages; each competitor/team will be sent to a different stage to start, and each stage will contain a clue to the final stage. Once they've collected all the clues, they can move on to the final, and the first one wins. Any words of wisdom?

A time-based race event will end up being a lot like an orienteering event -- people running at top speed from stage to stage. Also, there is nothing to keep teams from splitting up and hitting multiple stages simultaneously (one way of slowing this down is to have a unique rubber stamp and stamp pad in each cache; each competitor is given a sheet listing the stages; they must stamp their sheet with all of the stamps or be disqualified from winning; it's not perfect as teamates could still leap-frog each other, but it helps). There's nothing wrong with this sort of competative event, you just have to be aware of it.

Also, time-based race events don't offer families with younger children a chance to be competative. However, they can still enjoy going around finding the stages and completing the course, meeting other cachers, etc.

Good luck with your event! :o

Thanks for the input; the rubber stamp idea sounds interesting. The thought of seeing them dash across an open field to get from one end to the other and get the other stages sounds pretty fun to me. The way we're thinking about setting it up is, each person/team will only get coords for a specific stage at the beginning, so I can't see how they could leapfrog, unless they use cell phones or two-way radios (we would probably disallow the use of them). I'm also thinking of maybe padlocking the final stage, and in each of the other stages would be one number, to be applied to getting the correct combination. We want to be sure that each team must find all of the stages before they have a chance of finding the final.

We're kicking around the idea of a competition event, most likely a muticache race type of thing, for an afternoon. I see that poker runs are pretty popular, but I haven't really seen much discussed on multi races. We're figuring on, say, 10 stages; each competitor/team will be sent to a different stage to start, and each stage will contain a clue to the final stage. Once they've collected all the clues, they can move on to the final, and the first one wins. Any words of wisdom?

I am putting on a poker run idea as a fundraiser in Sudbury Ontario, calling it Geocache Hike and Seek.

But to add to the basic theme, teams of 4 must submit all five poker cards (sealed envelopes) in order to be allowed to do the bonus round that will have indivdual surprise prizes. It is a fundraiseer for Rainbow Routes Association intiative to build non motorized trails. Teams of foru at $100 per team. If you would like details of the event or wish to attend email me at tedk@vianet.ca.