Travel Bug Logs

Spiderboogmama

I'd E-mail the cacher and politely ask them to log the TB .... along with a brief description of how to log the TBs move. Many new Members just need to be shown how to log the TBs movements. Explain that their caching profile will not show that they got a TB unless this is done correctly. <_< ImpalaBob

When you do pick up a TB, is it 'bad form' to include the travel bug number in the Log Note for a found cache? If so, why?

You need the number to log the bug. Some people log bugs they never had by reading logs or looking at pictures. The number should be available only to people who have actually handled the tag and bug.

I had a TB that didn't get properly logged in a cache. I knew that the cacher had dropped it in there because he noted in his log that he had. I figured it out after a week or so and then grabbed it from him and dropped it in the proper cache. I didn't contact the cacher in this instance because he no longer physically had the TB.

I had another TB that was dropped in cache but then picked up the same day before the 1st cacher could log the drop. In this case, I asked the 2nd cacher to do a drop and grab so the TB could log the miles. They gladly did (and I'm glad too because that TB had not yet logged any miles!).

I guess there's no real wrong or right, only what you decide to do. Everything worked out in my case.

When you do pick up a TB, is it 'bad form' to include the travel bug number in the Log Note for a found cache? If so, why?

Yes. by listing the secret number it is possible for anyone to log the travel bug even if they didn't actually find it. Also when taking pictures make sure the number isn't shown.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm either naive or boggled that this would be a problem. I mean, you either have the travel bug in hand and move it somewhere else or you don't. I don't understand the mentality of vicariously logging travel bugs that never saw your cache. Might as well start logging caches you've never visited just to get your numbers up!

Wait, next you guys will be telling me that goes on too!? Kind of like cheating at Solitaire . . . :anibad:

JohnTee

P.S. With this in mind, just edited a log I had made where I had left a TB # Posted. Now reads #48XXXX. I still don't GET IT!