Explorist 500, Defective?

You may have to have th ex500 "refind" it's almanac of satellites.

1. Go osutside and find a spot that allows you clear view of the sky. Avoid tree cover and buildings.

2. Restart the GPSr from the Menu-Preferences screen.

3. Once you've set-up the GPSr to your area let it sit outside for about 20 min or so.

This allows the almanac of satellites for your area to be memorized by the GPSr.

This should improve tracking.

I cleared all my tracks and routes today and after that it seamed to get a fix and track... I was thinking that might have been a fluke, though. I didn't get to play long after it fixed sats, but i will be able to play with it more tonight.

This statement has me wondering if you deleted these things individually rather than using the menu/preferences/clear memory/all command or the hard reset (from the power off position press and hold simultaneously GOTO + OUT + POWER). These latter steps not only clear memory of data stored, but also return the unit to factory default settings.

If you did try the menu approach, it wouldn't hurt to try the hard reset, too. If you've done both, I'd be inclined to give up on it, too.

Leaving the unit out for an hour was a generous allocation...if you are feeling less patient on any subsequent trials, I think you can confidently quit after 15 or 20 minutes if you're not seeing any results.

I got my 500 from Comp-U-Plus yesterday. Everything seemed to be fine until I installed a SD card, then it wouldn't power up. I put it in my friends Meridian Color and it worked fine. I put his card in my 500 and again it wouldn't power on. Sent an email to Comp-U-Plus. I will let you know how it works out.

On the purchase side, Cumpuplus was great. It appears they will be great with the exchange too, but we will see in a couple days!!!

Did you get your unit back yet? Did they make you pay to ship it back? :lol:

Edited for spelling and added quote.

Edited by CowlesCachers