Display Of Found Locationless

TheAprilFools

I was looking at the profile fellow cacher who had found a lot of locationless caches. When I clicked the link in the stats page where you can see the listing of the found locationless caches, it was only 2 listings on the first page, 6 on the second, 9 on the third, 3 on the fourth, etc, rather than the standard 20 per page.

Its not that big of a deal since they are all archived anyways, but it did seam odd.

The Profile in Question

Funky. I lust looked at my stats and noticed nearly the same thing- but the first page displays 20 while the rest are blank.

348 locationless finds is, well, alot :) I had to wonder if that was the total number of locationless in the system, but their profile page shows the same stat. Must be some sort of bug.

I was looking at the profile fellow cacher who had found a lot of locationless caches. When I clicked the link in the stats page where you can see the listing of the found locationless caches, it was only 2 listings on the first page, 6 on the second, 9 on the third, 3 on the fourth, etc, rather than the standard 20 per page.

Its not that big of a deal since they are all archived anyways, but it did seam odd.

The Profile in Question

The reason this is so wonky is because the finds page generally displays 20 caches found per page. In this case the person has multiple finds on many of these caches. On the first page of finds, I stopped counting at 150 "finds" logged on one of the caches. So, while only 2 caches are displayed, there are hundreds of his "finds" attributed to those 2 caches.

You'll see that same phenomenom in areas where folks routinely log multiple finds on events. I just looked at a profile of a guy with 345 events "attended" actually 10, one of them appears on it's own page 5 times, meaning, I assume, that he logged 100 attended on it.

Cache on the Barrelhead allowed unlimited logs of its goals. I logged rhyming gravestone eight times - then quit. Enough already. But there were multiple goals and they all could be logged multiple times - each log was to be unique, ie a different rhyming grave or misspelled sign.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
I think you nailed it. I didn't even consider multiple finds on the same listing. Looking at the pages, I notice that the same caces tend to be repeated on different ones, especially the pages with only a few caches listed.

Now this is rediculous:

September 20, 2005 by cooperphoto (1454 found)

N 37° 54.734 W 122° 31.718

mt. tam state park, CA last but not least was this chevy 2500 with the tools and gear boxes in the back... thanks for the fun cache, hope find more fire engines!

N 37° 54.729 W 122° 34.728

this fire truck had no visible brand name, it said throckmorton ridge fire on the side.

N 37° 54.729 W 122° 34.721

hiking up on mt. tam today in marin county and came to a park fire station this ford f-350 was a ranger truck but it was set up with a water pump in the back and the jacket and hat were visible thru the window.

N 37° 54.726 W 122° 34.718

hiking up on mt. tam today in marin county and came to a park fire station this white ford was one of the vehicles I found, seems to be set up for the captain.

N 37° 54.734 W 122° 34.718

hiking up on mt. tam today in marin county and came to a park fire station this international was one of the vehicles I found.

They logged a find for each vehicle sitting in a row. :D Now I know why Jeremy wanted these caches gone... :D

Correct. The query for finds will return a list of cache IDs for each find. Because they are for identical caches you will see less than 25 each page because those 3 caches represent 25 finds. The alternative way of doing this would be to show the same cache found 25 times, but then you would see more posts about duplicate listings found on results page.

IMO this is the lesser of two evils, unless in the future we decide to attribute the find date to each and every log. However this is an unusual situation so the priority of any changes would be low.