Anybody Cito Like This?

TeamVilla5

Okay, I go in to a cache site & CITO a bag of trash. I do NOT just chunk it in the nearest receptacle. I take it home, separate the recyclables into our recycle bin & pitch the trash in the trash bin. Anybody else separate recyclables? It really isn't that hard to do & really helps for a sustainable future!

Happy Trashin'!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

I have done it, but if the trash is so stinky, icky, wet, disgusting that I refuse to put it in my car it goes in the dumpster/can at the park. If none is provided it comes home with me. You never know what's in some of those bottles! I also don't want to expose myself too much to flying mold spores on some of that garbage because of allergies, so I prefer to throw it away right away. If the park has a recycle bin, I certainly use it!

CITO has got to be the most noble aspect of geocachers. I doff my cap, bow deeply, and give my utmost respect to those who help clean up.

I'm new to geo-caching sport and can only speak from my other hobbies. One of which is locating 'ancient' trees - knowing that location awareness facilitates preservation. (We 'spot' trees that are 12 feet in circumference or larger.) Well, most of the time is spent in the woods, although occassionally we wander into parks. We too, carry trash bags on our expeditions.

Its sad that here in Michigan, a beautiful state, that there is no longer any trash bins or pick up in our parks. The previous gubernatoral administration needed to seize control of the DNR in order to skim money to finance unwanted taxcuts. Massive layoffs and eliminating trash pick up were just two actions taken by our 'public servants'. All trash is supposed to be taken out by park visitors, an idealistic but unrealistic thought. What was once a pristine park system a few short years ago is now a blowing garbage wasteland. That administration left due to term limits, leaving the state nearly $2 billion in debt (due to financial smoke and mirrors to conceal this fact cuz MI has a balanced budget requirement). Still awash in red ink, there is no immediate hope of service returning.

If you geocache in Michigan, please please please bring a trash bag with you. You can help beautify our state, despite the garbage in Lansing.

I'm new to geo-caching sport and can only speak from my other hobbies. One of which is locating 'ancient' trees - knowing that location awareness facilitates preservation. (We 'spot' trees that are 12 feet in circumference or larger.)

Is this hobby anythng like the Hall of Fame for "Big Trees" that I mentioned in this log at CCCooperAgency's GCB08F ?

Very similar!! AF is a good organization, although those I 'squirrel' with are a much more loosely connected grass roots organization (The Ent Watchers). We aren't beholden to fund raising or slick mags - we find that knocking on a door of a neighbor (to discuss the issue with those involved) is far more effective than the threat of bad publicity. We share our info/finds when appropriate, maintain a database and swap photos via email.

Today was over 50 degrees--just south of Boston. I did a short quest with the kids. (Quest doesn't use GPS). On the way out I picked up a grocery bag's worth of garbarge. That was all there really was there. When I got it home it was 90% recycables. My 5 year old wants to know "Mom why are you the Trash Lady?"

He'll be Green. I'm working on him.