How Many Geocachers Exist?

calkan

I am doing a presentation on geocaching to our local chamber of commerce. As I put together information I find it difficult to explain how big Geocaching is around the world. How many registered Geocachers exist in the world? in the USA? in Montana? These numbers would give people an idea of how big this outdoor recreation has become in the last few years. I am sure that this topic may have been used in the past, though the search engine is down, and I am looking for numbers before tomorrow. Any ideas on how many registered Geocachers there are in your locale? I appreciate your replies

Edited by calkan

yes, I notice the cache reports and log reports in the last 7 days. But all it really tells me is there are 225003 caches somewhere in the world. At any given time frame in a week there are usually about 20000 account holders writing 150000 logs. Then I am to assume that each holder is writing about 7 logs. If I look at the membership names, it equates to about 100,000 registered. 2000 pages of 50 members. Where do these people live....???? 50,000 in the USA? Where could one find some exact numbers? Such as in particular states...washington, pennsylvannia, montana, etc?

yes, I notice the cache reports and log reports in the last 7 days. But all it really tells me is there are 225003 caches somewhere in the world. At any given time frame in a week there are usually about 20000 account holders writing 150000 logs. Then I am to assume that each holder is writing about 7 logs. If I look at the membership names, it equates to about 100,000 registered. 2000 pages of 50 members. Where do these people live....???? 50,000 in the USA? Where could one find some exact numbers? Such as in particular states...washington, pennsylvannia, montana, etc?

Well, I'm not sure you need to have all the demographics in detail to make your point. I would like to tell you the total number of registered users by I haven't found that yet.

Just tell them how many are in Montana, generally how many are worldwide, and the average amount of people logging in a week. I'm just not sure how to determine the number in Montana. You got a local group there?

Looking at the site, there are 114872 registered Geocachers. I assume this is world wide. Montana, I am guessing may have 300 cachers? The point I would like to leave with the chamber is the few number of Geocachers in Montana compared to other states, and the potential of Geocaching growing in our locale. Granted we will never compare to the populous states for membership, but the potential of encouraging Geocachers to our state does interest the chamber of commerce. I am currently seeking permission to place caches in our town. My presentation will hopefully answer questions for those people who know nothing about Geocaching. The more questions I can answer with relative accurately, the better the presentation will become.

Edited by calkan

As of about a minute ago, there were 548692 registered accounts. (There are probably more now.) But that doesn't tell you how many geocachers there are -- some accounts are for groups of more than one, and some individuals have more than one account, and some of the accounts are no longer active. edit: And some geocachers never sign up for an account at all.

(Where I got that number: I looked for "http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=xxxxxx" until I found the maximum valid one.)

Edited by the hermit crabs
By their own admission (or the admissions of others) there are more Geocachers than are registered anywhere. Registration isn't necessary to start hunting up the caches, and individual family members (Team <name>) are always registered.

So the best answer is "At least ____"

Actually, as of a few months ago I think registration IS required to find caches. If you aren't logged in you cant see the actual coords of the cache.

By their own admission (or the admissions of others) there are more Geocachers than are registered anywhere. Registration isn't necessary to start hunting up the caches, and individual family members (Team <name>) are always registered.

So the best answer is "At least ____"

Actually, as of a few months ago I think registration IS required to find caches. If you aren't logged in you cant see the actual coords of the cache.

Actually, no, you do NOT have to be registered with geocaching.com to do geocaching. A number of youth groups (Boy Scout and Girl Scout units, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc) do caching activities for which perhaps one associated adult is registered. There are demo activities for which no one is registered (an example being the several thousand Boy Scouts who did the geocache events at the National Jamboree, with sets of caches at each of the 20 subcamps at the Caroline County (Virginia) event - Magellan trained adult leaders at each subcamp to set up and run the events). Garmin and Magellan do demo events at several trade shows each year, often involving several hundred participants. Some of these unregistered people eventually do register with geocaching.com, but there are several other sources of geocache sites (hmm, like the "geosearch" in the movie????).

But then, how do you define "geocaching", now that locationless caches, benchmarking, and other predecessor and related activities are moved elsewhere, and tens of thousands of GPSR users use the units for everything from planning hikes to publishing lists of "hot" fishing spots to using the built-in databases in their mobile car units to find restaurants? Is it only finding ammo boxes stuffed with trinkets, or 35mm film cans shoved in a tiny hole somewhere, or is it any activity that involves finding something using a GPSR? Is it searching only for those "GCxxxx" waypoints officially active on GC, or is it the general activity of finding locations that may or may not have a physical reward with the use of a GPSR?

The OP in Montana might think about what he is trying to sell the Chamber. The CoC might have in mind something commercial ("Can we attract these geocachers to a town to stay in the motels and eat at the restaurants?" :blink: )

My presentation to the Chamber of Commerce is over. I threw out some numbers which most likely were incorrect, but for the most part the chamber was very receptive to the idea of Geocaching. In fact two members are ready to head out and start looking for some caches. My main purpose was to educate and inform a group of city business people and to debunk a few rumors. I was very pleased with the response I was given. I am still at odds with the numbers, but don't worry I won't lose sleep over it. Thanks again for all the replys to my question.

Calkan