Pin-out For Sportrak Data/power Cable

I recently got my first GPSr, a Magellan SporTrak Pro, for cheap at a yardsale. It even came with the Mapsend software. What it didn't come with was the data or power cables and I really don't think they are worth $20 each for something that only consists of a couple of wires.

I have all the equiptment to make my own (for less than $2 each) except for one thing...the knowledge of which of the four contacts on the back of the GPSr are which. There should be a power-in (hot), a data+ in, a data- out, and a ground....but which one is which?

The ends that go to the cigarette lighter/computer are easy, it's the GPSr end I need. Is there anyone that has this cable and the electronics background to tell me which contacts are which?

AR_kayaker

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...rTrakSeries.pdf

part of the layout for the serial end is in the pdf manuel.

If your just making a data transfer cable I don't think you'll even need to figure out the power. Just data in, data out, and ground.

You probably know this, but if you make a power cable make sure theres a fuse in there so you don't fry the gps (thats probably in the manuel too).

:lol:

Can you guys clarify this for me one more time please.

Looking at the back of the GPS..

Top Left Connector should be= Pin3= Data in

Top Right Connector should be= Power (which I don't need. I just want to update the software.)

Bottom Left Connector should be= Pin5= Ground

Bottom Right Connector should be= Pin2= Data Out

If not correct can you repost the correct connections??

Thank you in advance..

First let me ask you this...are you ONLY going to do a one time upgrade to the software/firmware or do you think you'll want to upload maps and waypoints later?

For a one time upgrade there is a shortcut of sorts so that you don't have to build up a whole cable. On the other hand if you have the bare-wire connector already (the connector with the four pins for the back of the gps) you might as well go ahead and make a full data- and/or power-cable. They come in real handy uploading waypoints and maps.

I made mine complete from scratch both to avoid the cost and because I wanted a craddle I could just set it in and be connected instead of having to turn the little thumbscrew each time. But then I work in a shop with lots of tools and such so that I only had to supply the plastic and other expendible materials.

Thanks guys. With this information in hand I was able to build a dash-mountable power/data cradle that the unti will just slip into and fit against the contacts.

Better than the clunky screw-on cable I saw at the store and it cost less too.

Care to share some pictures and info on how you did it? I have the factory windshield mount and data cable (which the unit does just snap in and out of - no need to screw the cable in) but was thinking of trying to build my own mount to keep permanently mounted in my Jeep rather than switching the other one back and forth between my Jeep and the wife's.

Lets just start with the one time upload first. Initially I would like to upgrade to v5.34 then we'll go from there.

Thanks for your response.

Okay, I'll give you the quick and dirty way first then:

You'll need at least a DB9 connector (I scrounged one from an old serial port mouse I hadn't thrown out yet) to which you need to connect three wires.

(My wires were already connected and color coded because of my connector source)

Get a stretch of solid-core phone wire (four wires external use) or other wire of at least 26 gauge. It doesn't matter what colors (or none) that you use as long at you know which one is which when you connect them. If you use other colors just substitute the colorsyou use for the ones in these directions.

Connect the green wire to pin 5, the red wire to pin 3, and the black wire to pin 2.

(If you don't know which pin is which consult page 72 in the sportrak manual, which is available in PDF form on magellan's website)

After you have wires connected to the DB9 connector strip a little (1/4") of insulation off the other end.

The other end of the wires will go INSIDE the GPSr under some thumbscrews (or you might try taping them to the contacts on the outside I personally would very much NOT reccomend the tape method when upgrading the firmware, if a wire comes loose during the upgrade you might end up with a paper-weight)

Take the back off the GPSr and look at the back of the contacts. With the batteries at the bottom looking at the INSIDE from left to right you should have Orange, White, Blue, Yellow. They might have used different colors in different year/models so just just stick with left to right....

Lossen the leftmost screw and slip the end of the black wire (pin 2) under it, then retighten making sure the wire stays under the screw, repeat with the second from the left and the green wire (pin 5) and then the one on the far right gets the red wire (pin 3).

Remember these are looking from the inside. If you use the tape method go from right to left instead.

Plug it into your computer, power it up and test the connections by uploading a map or some waypoints. (you may need to configure your computers serial port first.) Once you are certain it's working you can upload the firmware. (follow the magellan website instructions) Make sure you have plenty of battery power and the connections are sound, failure to do could result in the paper-weight issue above.

I'll try to get back to everyone about the details of making a full mount. I'll need to go back over the process and maybe make some changes since not everyone has access to a the materials and tools I used. I'm sure I can change it enough to make a "hardware store" version.

AR-kayaker

This is the page I used to build my own . Cable

Sounds like you already made yours but I thought I would add more information.

Be sure NOT to use 12 volts directly from the cigarette lighter. You need a power supply to reduce it to around 4 volts. I looked at several old cell phone power supplies but they were all too much voltage. I got the "power only" cable from e-bay for not much $$$.

Edited by sodajerk