"first Unread Post" Actually The Last

canadave

Hi,

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this comment, and I apologize in advance if someone else has posted this already (since search is *still* down) :blink:

If you hover your mouse over the last posting shown in the far right of the menu view of any Groundspeak forum or subforum here, it says "Go to first unread post." But if you click that, it actually takes you to the LAST post of the thread, even if all the preceding posts are unread as well.

It's just a bit disconcerting, especially since I keep forgetting, and then wind up having to scroll all the way up to read a thread from the beginning.

Cheers,

Dave

I also see "Last Post By". Hovering my mouse shows "view=getlastpost". It takes you to the last post to the thread. However, I just recently learned that you must now read every post in the thread before posting to it, otherwise bad things could happen. :blink: Don't ask me to explain, you'll have to trust me on this one. :(

:(

Hi,

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this comment, and I apologize in advance if someone else has posted this already (since search is *still* down) :blink:

If you hover your mouse over the last posting shown in the far right of the menu view of any Groundspeak forum or subforum here, it says "Go to first unread post." But if you click that, it actually takes you to the LAST post of the thread, even if all the preceding posts are unread as well.

It's just a bit disconcerting, especially since I keep forgetting, and then wind up having to scroll all the way up to read a thread from the beginning.

Cheers,

Dave

I do not have that problem here, and the feature works fine for me, despite the fact that I use that feature a lot. Perhaps it is cookie-dependent, and perhaps you have cookies disabled on your PC. In any case, this thread is likely more appropriate for the "website features" thread than the general topics thread.

The forum software doesn't keep track of whether or not you've read every message. It works by time. What you're actually getting the first new message in the thread posted since the last time you were in the forums.

If your post was meant for me, then you misunderstand my post above. It is otherwise correct, except it's not the "first new message", it's the last message in the thread that you are brought to.

I didn't say the software keeps track of where you left off or if you read every message. What I said was you must now read every post in the thread before posting to it. At this point, that must be done manually.

Edited by cachew nut