Any Way To Increase Google Earth "views Left"?

kungfudude

The Google Earth pluggin is awesome! Does anybody know if there's a way to increase the 200 view-per-day limit? I was exploring lots of different areas yesterday online and had my browser locked out when I hit the limit. D'oh! That sucked!

If I become a Premium Member on GC does it remove the limit?

My apologies if this is a question that's already been asked before... the search feature doesn't seem to be working right now.

If you have Windows try to delete your cookies. Open Internet Explorer, Go to the tools menu and scroll down to Internet Options. About halfway down there is a button to delete cookies.

Edit: I dont know how google earth works so it may not work.

Edited by unicyclist
If you have Windows try to delete your cookies.  Open Internet Explorer, Go to the tools menu and scroll down to Internet Options.  About halfway down there is a button to delete cookies.

Edit: I dont know how google earth works so it may not work.

I don't think that will work unicyclist because from what I can tell the number is not held in cookies but is held at Groundspeak. I think the code you download from you profile page sets up the tracking process for your account. The reason I say this is that I have several computers in the house and if I use Google Earth on say computer A and get the count down to 185 views left and then go, turn on computer B and bring up Google Earth when I do the first use of the geocaching feature on computer B the number of views left will say 184. If it was cookies I think it should have said 199 left. Looks like a counter on your account at Groundspeak to me so that their servers don't get overloaded.

(edited to add) You can see on Google Earth that there is a fair amount of communication going on between the program and Groundspeak so their is ample opportunity for the counter to be kept there.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

I guess I'll have to do the turn on/turn off workaround.

But I can't help but wonder how that 200 view limitation is enforced. Just thinkin out loud...

Maybe it's by...

1) Google Earth login id

2) Computer cookie (don't think this is it either)

3) IP address (for me, it's semi-long term leased through Adelphia cable)

4) computername/netbios name

I'd guess that it's most likely some combination of the above. But hey, I can wait 24 hours.

Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised the Premium Members don't get an increased number of daily views.

Since I'm a premium member, I have never used up my 200 daily views. I only use the network KML for informal browsing. If I am interested in careful study (lots of views/moving around) then I will load up a GPX file from a pocket query or bookmark list. This has the added advantage of providing exact coordinates instead of fuzzy coordinates that are designed to jump around a little bit.

I guess I'll have to do the turn on/turn off workaround.

But I can't help but wonder how that 200 view limitation is enforced.  Just thinkin out loud...

Maybe it's by...

1) Google Earth login id

2) Computer cookie (don't think this is it either)

3) IP address (for me, it's semi-long term leased through Adelphia cable)

4) computername/netbios name

I'd guess that it's most likely some combination of the above.  But hey, I can wait 24 hours.

Can't guarantee it - but my suspicion is:

External IP or Mac address

For everyone map adjustment in GE - there is a significant amount of data passed around.

Groundspeak is wise to protect themselves - a 'Global' view could reallllly get the database churning.

the MAC address (on the network card) would account for multiple machines on the same network sharing the counter too - since they will generally all appear as the mac address of the broadband device (firewall / cablemodem / dsl modem etc.)