Explorist 500 And Mapsend - Total Newbie Questions

mely

Total newbie here. Dh bought me a eXplorist 500 for Christmas. I just got my mapsend software.

I am reading the documentation that came with the software and I my head is spinning. I swear I am not a total technological idiot - but I am just so overwhelmed.

All i want to do is to load the street maps of oregon onto my sd card. Any hints or tips or links to a site that might have step by step instructions that doesnt confuse me as much as the manuels?

i was told by the folks at magellan that you can't load the maps directly to the sd card in the 500. you must first download the map you want to your hard drive and then use the conversion manager to download it to your receiver. the documentation they provide is not as detailed as it should be in my opinion, but after a few minutes on the phone with their tech support i had it figured out.

good luck!

Edited by spacewrangler
i was told by the folks at magellan that you can't load the maps directly to the sd card in the 500. you must first download the map you want to your hard drive and then use the conversion manager to download it to your receiver. the documentation they provide is not as detailed as it should be in my opinion, but after a few minutes on the phone with their tech support i had it figured out.

good luck!

You were lucky, I think I was one the first calls they ever got re downloading maps. I bought my 500 the first day they were out. When I called they had to find the one person that knew about the 500 ;) SOmetimes it is not good to be the first one on your block with the new toy :)

I have a 600, and while everyone here will tell you, "GSAK!" is the way to go, I will agree - but I will be the first to admit, it is a little bit more computer-tech-friendly than I had imagined. See this thread over there for my problem, cheerfully!! solved in no time.

Using MapSend to GPS and vice-versa, use the conversion manager that came with it. Keep it handy as a desktop shortcut if you are doing a whole bunch of regions or local areas.

Make sure you also download the updates. So far, it makes GCs a little better.

Mely,

Saw your post about a mount for your GPS. Well, I'm new ot this too and just got an Explorist XL. Nice unit, nice features, ** L O U S Y ** customer support. But I digress...

About your mount. I did some looking around and came up with a mount by Lobster Mount. I received the thing last week and it is very well constructed. The suction mount works extemely well. It is a clever design to really keep the windshield mount in place. I gotta say that this is one nice mount. Also, while messing around with getting the right positioning on my windshield, I tightened the srews a bit too much and munged the arms that actually hold the GPS in place. I emailed the company and, within a day, had them thanking me for my purchase and sending me a complete set of new arms free of charge!! One short email to them mind you. No questions asked! Now THAT'S standing by your product.

I highly recommend Lobster Mounts.

Good luck.