Magellan Explorist 600 Accuracy Problems?

Jacko65

Hi,

Wondered if anyone can help. I'm fairly new to Geocaching but not to GPS.

I started caching with a Magellan Meridian Platinum no problems, very accurate to within a few feet of a cache usually.

I've recently upgraded to a Magellan Explorist 600 and download the Caches directly to the Explorist using the Magellan software that came with the machine.

I've used it for three caches and each time I have been between 50-75m out, causing myself and six year old daughter some grief.

I was wondering whether there is something I have not set up correctly on the Explorist when setting up originally.

Do I need to recalibrate the compass every so often? does the machine need re-initialising?

When looking at the Ordnance Survey Grid Reference on the cluesheet and on the GPS when standing over a cache they match exactly so no problems there.

The GPS is set for Magnetic North, and course up.

Hope someone can help.

Am I expecting too much from my GPS? I don't think so as my Meridian Platinum was excellent.

Kind Regards

Tony Jackson.

Many thanks for the replies,

I am using OSGB36 and will change to WGS84 forthwith. I'll let you know how I get on.

As a grey ex squaddie used to using Ordnance Survey maps and a Silva Compass for navigation i'll have to get used to using a different Datum.

Kind regards

Tony (and Sophie of course!)

The posted coords that are on the cache page are always in WGS84 so that's definitely the problem. If you change you shouldn't have any further problems getting to the right spot. Finding the cache may be a different issue though :(

If you don't want to use WGS84 then you could always convert the coords to the OS Grid Ref but this can cause problems when you set your first cache and forget to use WGS84. That won't make you any friends :ph34r:

Enjoy the practice of getting used to the new datum

Edited by dino-irl

If you downloaded the caches from a file and transfered then to the GPS electronically, then they should be stored in the GPSr fine. So using 'goto waypoint' should work fine. However if you have the datum wrong (WGS84 when displaying Grid Refs, or OSGB36 when displaying lat/long) and matching the displayed location to the paper location manually then there may be problems.

If you want your display to be in Grid References then have the datum set to OSGB then there should be no problems. Similally if you want to work in lat/long (which is sometimes easier to work with on puzzles etc, and needed when entering things on the website) then set to WGS84. The rule of thumb is both should be changed (display format and datum), which one of the two alternative is really personal preference!

Don't know if that helps.

Edited by barryhunter