Mapsource Unlocking Vista

angstkayak

Got the Vista C, my traveling friend has the same. The goal is to load a third party costa rica map (i understand that Garmin does not make one)

If I understand the way mapsource works is that it unlocks the map loading feature in the unit and that when you buy mapsource you are allowed 2 and only 2 unlocks.

Can this be used to unlock 2 different GPS's that are the same model?

Can any version of mapsource be used to do the unlock and enable the map loading ability?

Yes. I bought a GPS 10 BT for my Ipaq and it came with City Select. I unlocked that on the GPS 10 and then unlocked it for my 76CS. The unlock is against the serial number of the unit. It can be two different models or two of the same. It doesn't care.

But I am not sure what that has to do with a third party package. Garmin has nothing to do with unlocking it. When you unlock the Garmin maps you unlock it for a serial number; you don't unlock it for the software (if that makes sense).

TBK

Not all Garmin products need unlocking. Topo, MetroGuide, Waterways & Lights are examples of products that can be used on unlimited GPSrs. City Select, City Navigator and Blue Charts are products that do need to be unlocked to GPSrs. Those products allow unlocking to 2 Garmin receivers, and more unlocks can be purchaed through Garmin.

If you're buying third-party software, then all bets are off. I wouldn't expect them to use Garmin's unlocking scheme, as that would require Garmin to maintain the records and sell additional unlock codes. Since Costa Rica is not listed on Garmin's Third-Party MapSource Developers page, then I think that'd be highly unlikely arrangement.

So, I would expect there to be no unlocking limitation on those Costa Rica maps. There's a small chance that I may be wrong (it's been known to happen in the past).

that explains it. I had understood that you had to have any one of any mapsource products with an unlock code unlock the gps iteslf before it would recognise a third party map like perhaps one you might make yourself.

My question is will the 2 unlock lisence allow you to essentially split the cost of the software with a friend and unlock the map on two different units. TBK's reply seems to suggest that this is allowed.

Also fyi I was able to use a freeware program to load someones central america map into the garmin. It did not seem to interfere or mess up my basemap. The map is even recognised by mapsource 6.0 that came with the gps. No telling if it will create a problem if I buy something like City Navigator and install later, but for now I got it set up sufficient to get me through this trip.

just a fyi. if you have a vista (24mb), don't get city navigator. i made this error over the holidays and i'm totally pissed at garmin and hope to get a refund from them. although garmin recommends CNv7 for the vista c, the CNv7 maps are *huge*; like 15mb per region. this means you can only load one region at a time. if you live on a boundary area like i do (washington dc/northern virginia) and you want to load enough to cover your local area (say a meager 30mile radius), you'd need to load three regions totalling 43mb.

additionally, three of the regions are >24mb, so they're not even loadable on the darn thing. another (boston area) is 24mb. yet another (dallas) is 23.9mb. (for these last two, you gotta wonder how much, if any, room you'll have to store waypoints, routes, etc.)

bottom line: CNv7 is just plain wrong for the low-mem units. CNv7 replaced the now-discontinued "city select v7" whose regions were 1/10th the size and was a much better fit for the vista, legend, etc. but that's progress for ya.

Edited by 4MLA1FN
just a fyi. if you have a vista (24mb), don't get city navigator. i made this error over the holidays and i'm totally pissed at garmin and hope to get a refund from them. although garmin recommends CNv7 for the vista c, the CNv7 maps are *huge*; like 15mb per region. this means you can only load one region at a time. if you live on a boundary area like i do (washington dc/northern virginia) and you want to load enough to cover your local area (say a meager 30mile radius), you'd need to load three regions totalling 43mb.

additionally, three of the regions are >24mb, so they're not even loadable on the darn thing. another (boston area) is 24mb. yet another (dallas) is 23.9mb. (for these last two, you gotta wonder how much, if any, room you'll have to store waypoints, routes, etc.)

bottom line: CNv7 is just plain wrong for the low-mem units. CNv7 replaced the now-discontinued "city select v7" whose regions were 1/10th the size and was a much better fit for the vista, legend, etc. but that's progress for ya.

I'm just curious as to what prompted you to buy City Navigator. It's been kind of a confirmed rumor that Garmin is discontinuing the City Select and replacing it with Navigator, but there's been no official announcement that I'm aware of. AFAIK CSNA 7 is available and supported.

FWIW future versions of Navigator will have smaller map segments - but I know that doesn't help you much now.

So how is it that you bought Navigator instead of Select or MetroGuide?

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmscsna7.htm

after seeing that and posts on a.s.g.g (alt.satellite.gps.garmin), i was prompted to look at cnv7. i then asked the guy at a highly recommended gps retailer which was better for the vista c: MG or CNv7. he suggested CNv7 because it had data that allows the unit to create its own routes (e.g. without a PC); MG apparently doesn't have this extra info. hence, i purchased CNv7.

this has been a very disappointing first foray into gps where the manufacturer recommends an add-on that cannot be conveniently or even fully used.

i have heard they may make smaller maps but how long do i/we have to wait? i'd heard their refactoring may only cut the huge pieces into about quarters, not tenths like city select. (CS region sizes were about 1MB; CN region sizes are on avereage 10MB.) for a limiited-memory device like the vista, the smaller the pieces the better.

i'd also heard rumors of a soon-to-be-released etrex with SD slot. i'm packing up my vista c to return to amazon, and this rumor is the only thing that's keeping me from jumping ship to get a magellan explorist 600 or xl.

Edited by 4MLA1FN
I'm just curious as to what prompted you to buy City Navigator. It's been kind of a confirmed rumor that Garmin is discontinuing the City Select and replacing it with Navigator, but there's been no official announcement that I'm aware of. AFAIK CSNA 7 is available and supported.

the info about city select being discontinued may not be offical, but if you check a few online retailers, allot have pulled city select as a stand alone product. you can still find it bundled with the auto navigation kits though.

i checked several online retailers and given how hard it was to find CSNAv7 (compared to the ease of finding CNv7), one would easily conclude it was indeed discontinued. some sites said it was discontinued; other didn't list CS at all but did list CN; e.g.

http://www.gps4fun.com/gar_cityselect.php

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmscsna7.htm

http://www.tigergps.com/sofdat.html

http://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Software.asp

http://www.safetracgps.com/road.htm

and even if it was not officially discontinued, it was clearly being replaced by what most people would think was a better product. but the availablility or not of CSNAv7 is really besides the point that garmin recommends an add-on (CNv7) that cannot be fully used on their device, which by most definitions is fraud.

Edited by 4MLA1FN