Difference Between B/w And Color Legen/vista

ndimmick

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both the B/W and Color versions of Garmin's Legend or Vista models. I understand the advantages of the color screen and greater memory capacity. I'm curious if the antennae and chipsets are the same when moving up to the color models and if they are any more accurate or sensitive.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

One of the biggest difference, the Legend C versus the B/W is it can do auto routing. More memory, 24 megs for the LegendC compared to 8 megs for the Legend B/W and the color screen does make a big difference for seeing details and it really lights up when the sun comes down on it.

Edited by Nomade

I concur. Things may change in the future, but right now, the color versions (Legend C and Vista C) feature auto routing capabilities with the purchase of optional software. I have a B/W Vista and a Map 60CS. The color in the 60CS makes for a striking difference in clarity. Additionally, the color versions benefited from faster processors that feature 3-5 times faster re-drawing of the maps. That is a much faster response time in displaying your position on the map screen.

Edit notes: I think the Legend C is the best value of all the hand held Garmin GPS units. Since I have never used a Magellan, I can't offer an unbiased comparison.

Edited by Chuy

My firest GPS was a Etrex Legend, which I had for about 3-4 years. Last year I upgraded to an Etrex Vista C. The color screen is so bright and so much easier to read. In my opinion the C seems to get a lot better reception.

The added memory is a bonus, especially if you do get City Select to use the auto route, which is really nice. It makes your GPS that much more valuable.

I liked my Legend, but I love my Vista C.

My Vista C is still pretty new to me, and I am not sure about better reception, but the "C" does everything faster...including acquiring the satellites...and is pure pleasure to use. I often had problems screen-reading with the Vista, which led to errors, required that I stop everything to get into favorable light, etc. The "C" is much easier to read under every light condition that I have tried.

I am quickly coming to appreciate the menu/submenu and quit buttons as I don't have to visually locate the highlighted option button and toggle my way through the screens and menus.

I find the users manual to be more thoughtfully presented also, which might be a boon to someone new to GPS navigation.

Mr Smiles