Military Base Caches

Bratt Turned Wife

Here is what the guide lines say, and my 2 cents wroth is it is a bad idea. More bases are becomeing closed installations limiting who could access them.

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Caches on military installations are clearly against the guidelines and are, by definition, limiting in the amount of traffic they will get (civilians not being able to get to most if not any areas of installations). A big consideration for caches in general and TB hotels in general.

Granted, being NEAR the installation would be a grand idea, especially if it either..

A. Brought non-military folks to something that educated them a bit about the installation, service, or one of the units based there.

or...

B. Brought the military folks to an area in their host community they may not have otherwise learned about or seen.

As the above two posters mentioned, hiding caches on millitary property is against the GC guidelines for security and other reasons (limited civillian access, for one). I've not yet seen a cache that was hidden on an active milliary base, but I have found a few that were on former bases that had been closed down and the land sold off, although maps still showed otherwise. One cache was even behind an old commisary that had only been a few years old when the base closed, but which had been left abandoned to fall apart. I also found a virtual on an old instillation that had been sold off and redeveloped; it was a block away from the (now demolished) base housing I grew up in.

Edited by DavidMac

There is nothing that would prevent you from putting a TB hotel near the base, assuming you could find a suitable spot, get permission, etc, etc. Here in Warner Robins there are several caches, mostly micro's and smalls, that are located directly across the street from Robins Air Force Base.

It does say in the guidelines that military bases are taboo, however as with any rule, common sense should be used as to when to apply it.

Like someone already said, many military installations are being closed to public access for security reasons, but there are bound to be a few that aren't for one reason or another.

We have one near me in fact that is an active base but only a small part of it is marked off as restricted access. The remainder of the base (several sqaure miles worth that used to be used for field manuvers) is open to the public. During hunting season you can even get a permit (on top of the standard state permit) and hunt deer on that section of the base.

AR_kayaker