Palmone Treo 650

joang

IRRITATING!!! ;) I just got a PalmOne Treo 650 for x-mas and I am dying to go paperless. However, I have to admit that I have ABSOLUTELY no clue how to do that. I see the software on geocaching.com and I have been reading the software thread here, and I just seem to be missing something! GC.com says that you can go paperless using free software, but I have yet to come across this free software. I dont know what software to load, how to load the cache page to the Palm once I get the software loaded, or even the correct way to get the cachepage file from geocaching.com to the software on my computer! I can do the HotSync on my Palm, at least I figured that out.

If anyone can explain this in a way my simple mind can understand, I would greatly appreciate it!!! :)

If you need further assistance, I have a Treo 650 and use it for caching. If you still can't get it going after following Sputnik's link, feel free to ask.

Edit: And in another thread I see that Sputnik uses one as well, so I'll just fade back into the woodwork. ;)

Edited by Pasha
I just got a PalmOne Treo 650 for x-mas and I am dying to go paperless.  However, I have to admit that I have ABSOLUTELY no clue how to do that...

The easiest route is to get geocaching queries emailed to you in GPX format (includes hint, logs, etc.) and transfer that to CacheMate (at $8 nearly free). Because the Palm OS uses PDB files you will need to translate GPX to PDB using a free conversion program.

A memory card for your Treo will be useful as you get into the sport and start storing many hundreds of cache descriptions. The Treo's built-in memory is rather limited. A good place for Treo info is TreoCentral or http://treo.treocentral.com in mobile format on your Treo. Enjoy!

I have used a Palm for years and am, in fact, ordering a Trea 650 when my current contract expires in Jan.

The easiest way is not necesarrily free, but pretty darn close. With a premium membership to GC, you can set up queries sent to you in GPX. Doing this, you will find you will want a way to organize and easily review caches and track your finds. You have 145 finds in 3 states, so I am sure you can see the value in this capibility.

A program called GSAK will do this for you on your Windows box. Cost is $20, but between the support as well as unbelievable usefullness, there will not be any buyers remorse. This imports the GPX files very nicely.

It will also allow you to export to pratically any format, including those that can be read by Cachemate ($8). It also allows you to load the caches on practically any GPS that interfaces to your PC as well as export to most mapping software.

So, since you spent anywhere from $149 to $599 for your Treo, another $28 and you are on your way to having everything automated but finding the cache, I'm sure someone is working on that one too. :rolleyes:

Edited by baloo&bd
you might also look at GeoNiche for the Palm.

...which has a fancier interface and more features than CacheMate, especially when using a GPS receiver with the Treo. Unfortunately, it costs $25, has not been updated in over a year, and doesn't support some of the Treo buttons which means you have to use the stylus a lot. For just storing cache data and taking notes I prefer CacheMate. Good to have two choices.

Edited by bigeddy