Category Proposal: Former Railway Stations

I think it's great to have a category for those great railroad station buildings. I'd like to suggest that there are some current railroad station buildings that are quite historic and still in use as railroad stations that also need a place in Waymarking. I have a virtual geocache at the Harrisburg, PA railroad station, which I would eventually like to move to the Waymarking site. Could this category also include historic railroad station buildings that are still in use for their original purpose? Another bit of information about the waymark. A certain number of years could be used as the cutoff to determine which current railroad stations would qualify.

Certainly if Jake39 has already proposed Old Railway Staions then I would bow out of this category.

I agree with some of the other comments, and would like to see a whole section of railway categories groped together. Being a railroader myself I was looking to propose possible railway categories that hadn't already been claimed (in either Waymarking or Locationless caches). I also have proposed Roundhouses as another category.

Cedar Grove Seekers  Posted on Dec 18 2005, 08:32 PM
I agree with some of the other comments, and would like to see a whole section of railway categories groped together. Being a railroader myself I was looking to propose possible railway categories that hadn't already been claimed (in either Waymarking or Locationless caches). I also have proposed Roundhouses as another category.

Being you are a 'Railroad Roady' yourself I have no problem letting you continue aquiring this category. :lol:

Good luck!!! :)

Posted Dec 18 2005, 10:25 AM

Cedar Grove Seekers

I would like to propose a new Waymarking category - Former Railway Stations. Waymarks would include any railway stations that are now being used for some purpose other than a railway station. Vacant unused buildings would not apply. I propose that this be a sub-category under Places / Buildings. This was NOT a former Locationless category.

Just helping 'Cedar Grove' to achieve his wishes :)

Cedar Grove Seekers

I would like to propose a new Waymarking category - Former Railway Stations. Waymarks would include any railway stations that are now being used for some purpose other than a railway station. Vacant unused buildings would not apply. I propose that this be a sub-category under Places / Buildings. This was NOT a former Locationless category.

I've been looking for this category! I'm involved with the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation in Buffalo, NY. I was just going to add our Terminal as a virtual cache, then learned about Waymarking.com, went searching for railroad categories, and was surprised that I couldn't find anything other than the roundhouses one. Looking forward to seeing this category!

How about a category for historic railroad buildings. This could include both stations and roundhouse and railbarns and probably a few other building. Sounds like a great category for group management. Volunteers needed.

There is already a category for roundhouses. Would be nice to get these all integrated to something.

This is the way it should be. Some careful thought should go into how to structure this group of categories -- Cats, sub cats, variables, etc. so that it is logical and easy to use and add to/modify.

I'm not particulaly a RR buff, but these old RR stations are often neat places and have a lot of history to tell. I'd certainly submit waymarks to this category!

I had an uncle who worked in a RR museum in Sacramento, which is another possible part of this category grouping -- RR Museums

I hope there will be a way to cross list categories. RR museums might be a good example -- listed under an RR category and under a museum category.

Cedar Grove Seekers

Just helping 'Cedar Grove' to achieve his wishes :laughing:

start the group and send me an invite....