Explorist And Gsak Communication

ictester

I cant use the search because it says I have no permission. I am logged in.

I just downloaded GSAK and tried to upload some cashes in the Explorist 210. GSAK only allows me to select Com1 as a communication port. The GPS is USB but shows up as Com4 in Delorme Street Atlas. Anyway it wont communicate through Com1 with GSAK. So I was forced to use the Magellan geocash manager which worked ok although the hint comes up blacked out and when I hit view nothing happens.

Does someone know how to use GSAK with the Explorist 210 ? Does someone know how to view the hints in the 210?

thanks

Not entirely sure, but it sounds like the search function has been disabled in light of some sluggishness with the forums. Hopefully the problem will be figured out soon.

As for your GSAK question, I use it to export the cache points to a regular POI file (.upt file) or a geocaching POI file (.gs file). They are called Magellan SD files (as for eXplorist) and Magellan eXplorist Geocaching in GPSBabel, which drives part of GSAK. I forget if the same names are used in GSAK. Anyway, I have the .upt or .gs file exported to a folder on my computer. I then use Windows Explorer to cut and paste the .upt or .gs file to the correct location on the eXplorist, which appears as a removable drive. I've never tried moving POIs or routes by using a program to communicate directly with the receiver because I don't want to deal with the kind of problems you had. Much easier (at least for me) to just move the files using Windows.

I am assuming the 210 has the same interface as the 400, which is what I'm basing this on. To view a hint on the receiver, go to your geocache POI file and select a cache. At the bottom of the screen are options to view the cache on the map or view the hint. Move the cursor to "Hint" and press Enter with the clickstick.

Thats what I did about the hint, but it never opened. So I had to cut and past the hint material in Magellans program. I will try you idea of transfering files though, Although I did get the magellan software to work I just clicked on the download LOC Waypoing file and added it to the magellan software page and after I got all I wanted I hit transfer and it worked ok.

No Im trying to find a way to input the locations from the 210 back to delorme street atlas without having to manually find each one. It will work with the 210 on com4 but wont transfer files.

I think I posted in the wrong section anyway.

Edited by ictester

Export from GSAK by going to - File -Export - GPS/LOC file

Note where you save the file

Open the "Magellan Geocache Manager that came on the CD with you GPS

File - Open (browse to file you just exported from GSAK)

Then (In the Geocache Manager) Transfer - Send geopoints to GPS

Hope this helps