Event Coin Book Questions

rojeel

In the Geocoin thread, I asked what others did with coins they took to events. I am creating a book with all my coins.

Cornerstone (?) provided me with some info, but I wanted to ask in this forum if these items were in the works.

Part of their reply:

The whole coin thing at events is tedious, but everyone that sees and logs them will appreciate your effort. I know Groundspeak is working on a solution for this problem that will make life much easier, but until they do, there is only one way I know to handle this.

First, if my coins aren't in my inventory, and are in my archived cache or elsewhere, I have to "grab" them into my inventory. Yes, that means I need to enter the tracking number for each one and grab it.

Next, I visit the event page, "Write a Note", highlight all of the bugs and coins I am logging into it, then post it.

**NOTE! When the next page pops up, showing the review of your log, hit the delete button, then say you are sure. What this does is delete the actual note itself so it doesn't clog the event page with bug drops. However, it still leaves everything you dropped at the event. The new way the are handling multiple coins and bugs in an event keeps the main page very clean.

Third, Print out a list of all of your coin numbers, and make copies if you want. At the bottom of the list, ask all loggers to keep the coins in their inventory. Ask them to make sure they don't put them back in the event. Each successive logger will then grab the coin from the previous logger.

Once all the activity dies down, send an email to the holder of your coins, and if you are using an archived cache to store them, ask them to do the drop there. Any late loggers can grab them from there and then return them.

Get ready! Every single time each and every coin gets logged, you will get an email. If it is a large event, you will get several hundreds of emails over the next week or so! This is one of the things Groundspeak is working on a solution for.

End their reply (wish I knew how to just link the two threads)

The two questions are imbedded above near the words "things Groundspeak is working on".

Anyway, with recent talk of locking coins-I don't think I am treading into this area, I wanted to check and see if this was acceptable, and if there might be an easier way to keep track of all these coins. I have considered taking only part of my collection to an event, to limit the extra logging. Also it would encourage others to attend events to see which coins I brought. I don't have many, yet, but I have more than anyone within 50 miles of me (as far as I know).

Sorry it is so long, but I wanted to be thorough.

Thanks