Digital Camera - File Naming Convention

BlueDeuce

I'm looking to get a new Digital camera and with my old one, I take pictures, download to my PC, clear the memory card, take some more pictures and the camera names the files exactly the same as the ones I took before. So there is no way to 'mix' my pictures without renaming them all.

Yes I know how to mass rename files but will the cameras out there now do a better job naming the file? Do they all do this? (I would love a date/timestamp style naming convention)

I don't know how most cameras work, but my Panasonic FZ-20 remembers every shot ever taken, unless you purposely reset it. Thus, I just keep downloading and erasing the SD card, and the file names keep incrementing. To keep things straight, I have an image directory with monthly subdirectories, and dump anything I shoot in, say December, into directory 0512. If you always organize dates into YYMM or YYMMDD, they'll always sort properly. If you go to the benchmark search page and enter my screen name, Photobuff, you can see the shots I've taken with the Panasonic, though they may not be too exciting unless you're as into benchmarks as I am :) IMO, the whole Panasonic line delivers remarkable image quality, short lag times, are flexible, and easy to use. Check out the dpreview.com site for reviews and a bunch of happy forum users.

Depends on the camera, but usually there is a setting to alter this. On my camera, I can have it restart the naming sequence each time or remember the last file name and continue from there. I have mine set to continue fron the file created so I'm up to about 1600 shots. At 9999, it will start over though.

Seems like my Fuji 2 megapixel camera keeps track with a counter, except when I have dead batteries in the camera to long, and the Counter tends to reset back to zero, so I have a problem with my pictures on this PC, Im typing this from, so I can't easily combine pictures into directories, without overwriting some of them.

I have a large memory card in the camera, and keep the last picture i've taken to try to help keep the counter going in the right order, but don't really know if that always helps.

Edited by GOT GPS?

The last 3 or 4 cameras I've bought all had a sequential numbering option on the menu.

I use Thumber to transer and rename my pics. It moves them from the camera (leaving it empty), creates a folder of today's date and renames them by date, min, sec. Highly configurable and fairly automatic. It will create a web page of thumbnails linked to full sized pics in no time flat. Check it out.

Bruce