Tb Hotel Suggestion

BRTango

This may be a bit overly ambitious but...

Does anyone here know an astronaut or someone else that works at NASA, ESA, etc... that might be able to assist in establishing a Travel Bug Hotel on the ISS?

The thought being that a TB hotel could be established somewhere near the launch site, someone can pick up a few (say 5 or so) take it the ISS, a returning ISS crewmember can bring it back (cosmonaut/astronaut doesn't really matter) and return it to it's travels.

I'm not quite sure how the mileage would be calculated... but...

Like I said maybe a little overly ambitious <_<:mad::P:D:P

The thought being that a TB hotel could be established somewhere near the launch site, someone can pick up a few (say 5 or so) take it the ISS, a returning ISS crewmember can bring it back (cosmonaut/astronaut doesn't really matter) and return it to it's travels.

As long as it doesn't have any trade restrictions :wacko:

(I'm picturing some astronaut on the space station, about to retrieve a bug that has been there since the last astronaut dropped it off six months earlier... he signs the log and is about the take the bug, when he reads the rules shouting at him: "ONLY TAKE A BUG IF YOU LEAVE ONE! THERE MUST BE AT LEAST FIVE BUGS IN SPACE AT ALL TIMES! PLEASE MAKE THIS FUN FOR ALL ASTRONAUTS!!" He pats the pockets of his space suit and realizes he left his intended swap bug at home. "Dang!" he thinks. "And this bug in here is in a race, and really needs to get to Cape Canaveral by next week! So close... but I can't take it...")

At a launch cost of about $20,000 per pound (via Shuttle), I don't see carrying TBs to space as a very cost effective proposition. The astronauts have a very strict weight limit for personal belongings.

But you might want to check with Virgin Galactic. They may have a lower launch cost and might even be able to take along some TBs as ballast. Right now you wouldn't get orbits, but you would get into space. Given the past history of Sir Richard Branson, he might be willing to do this just to get some publicity.

Gee... thanks for bringing cost into it bursting my bubble :wacko:

Ok... only helium filled tb's for the ISS.

I do like the Virgin Galactic thing... I don't know why I didn't think about that, I just heard about the space port yesterday morning... that should have been my first thought :(

Edited by Hounds of Meur