Help With 60cs Geocaching Feature,

DHDaniel

Hello, New to this, ben studying and playing with my new 60 cs for hours and hours..... Made 2 local geocache finds today, close to home for starters,

I bought the Instructional DVD, but still do not have any clue how to use the geocache feature,

Managed to download a few .loc files and find them doing the "off road"

I guess I need to install the City Navigator, I bought it, just not got into it yet.

I must say I am a bit overwhelmed, but I think I am learning how to use it,

I did notice that on the first find in the woods. as I got close to the cache the compass started acting a bit goofy, and the distance still showed 20-30 ft away

I'll keep working at it.

Any newbie advice on this thing is appreciated

Thanks

Dave

As the FAQ states, the key is having the cache symbol set to a closed treasure chest (or whatever you tell your 60CS is the symbol for an unfound cache). If you use .loc files and EasyGSP or GSAK, be sure to change the symbols before uploading them. If you are entering waypoints by hand, edit the symbol to the closed treasure chest when you put in the coordinates.

Also, after you press "Go To", select "Off Road". It will not work if "Follow Road" is selected.

If you want to autoroute your way to the cache location, go ahead and "Follow Road". When you get out of the car to go grab that cache, go to the Map page and press the "Menu" button and select "Recalculate" - then select "Off Road".

Check out Garmin's MAPSOURCE TUTORIAL. It'll have you using City Select like an old pro.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I agree... when you first get it, everything taken as a whole is overwhelming. This is the place to be to find answers. Do keyword searches on this forum. Devote an hour or two to read the whole 60c(s) faq thread.

You have already found out that the "treasure chest" thing is easy and is nothing more than an icon association. This just puts those waypoints in the "Geocache" list which you can choose when you push "Find". Makes it easy to manage Geocaches only. Geocaches will also appear in the "Waypoints" list along with all your other stored waypoints.

I use City Select - the mapping/routing part has a moderate learning curve and all that can be found here with searches, as well.

Compass:

The electronic compass kicks in when you stop or go slow. When moving at a moderate speed, the compass pointer is controlled by satellites and not by the electronic module.

Keep a watch on the "crazy compass" thing you mentioned. It could have done that because you were under brush and 20-30 ft was the unit's accuracy for the moment.

Then again, it could be a faulty compass module. Those that had this glitch (including me) have experienced wrong headings and lockups. You'll know it if you see it but assume that yours is OK for now. Rest assured, the replacement procedure is quick, friendly and painless.

Good luck,

Steve

Man would I love to do searches. I can't say I'm impressed with the geocaching forums. I've never been on a forum that doesn't allow you to search. :lol:

In the meantime, you can take a look at a discussion of some of the common issues regarding the 60CS, with links to many threads in this forum, in the FAQ. It isn't like searching the forum, but until the software upgrade is posted, at least its something.

Edited by Sputnik 57