Which Gps Mouse For Pda

beachmeat

Hi there,

I am planing on buying a bluetooth GPS unit for getting started with geocaching and some other technical experiments. I dont own a car, so car navigation is not my primarly target, rather I want a really precise and small unit that has good battery life.

I am looking at the Holux GR-236 (www.holux.com) that has SIRF III and another unit called Adapt AD-500 with a Nemerex Chipset (http://www.pocketnavigation.de/article/view_424_988__Adapt-AD-500/2.4.18.html).

As I understand the SIRFIII has issues with "slow navigation" so maybe the Adaptp would be a better choice? Its also 50 € cheaper which I of course wouldnt mind.

Has anyone experience with these or similar devices and can recoomend one?

Thanks,

Manuel

Edited by beachmeat

SiRF III receivers are great. Probably what you heard about was a thing called static navigation. It keeps the unit from updating at slow speeds (very slow walking). This prevents the unit from "wandering" when in one spot. You should be able to turn off static navigation on most units.

The SiRF III units are much more sensitive than the other units I have tried.

Hi there,

thanks first for that information regarding SIRFIII.

I want to buy such a device because I already own a PDA with bluetooth, and so its giving me multiple abilities when I get such a GPS receiver. I can start geocaching (woohoo), I travel a lot so its useful for getting around, I am a creative programmer and have some ideas what I can do with GPS (think of games requiring you to move around the city on certain patterns) and I just like the idea of knowing where I am.

I am conscious that my fragile PDA is not ment to be used in heavy outdoor manner, but I just think in case I get totally addicted with it, I can still buy me a rugged GPS device...

Oh OK> Well I don't have any experience with the BT gps. I do have a GPS that slips into my Pocket PC's SF slot. It gets it's power from the PPC about 3 hours worth. I use it both for auto navigationon the road and for navigating in the woods to the cache. But I also have a dedicated GPS unit strictly for geocaching. BT GPS with the SIRF III are suppose to be very sensitive to sognals. However, I personally do not like the idea of having two units to carry.

Unfortunately, no one yet manufacturers a SF slot GPS with the SIRF III chipset so if you want SIRF III you need the BT model.