Is There Different Types Of Topo Maps

skate

I am running the Garmin 76cs with Garmin US topo map (latest).

I am tyring to figure my new GPS unit out. I managed to download my tracks from a bike ride I did today onto my computer.

well everything shows up, but how do you change the different types of topo views on the computer. all I keep getting is a really generic basic type of plane map with a few lines here and there. No countour lines or nothing.

which now that I think about it. how can i veiw the contour lines or get a better detailed topo map on my gps when i am navigating.

it seems that it is showing me the same map on my GPS as on my computer.

basically I want to get the views as it shows on the box of the software (US topo latest version).

Edited by skate

On the computer you should have a drop down box that allows you to use the product you wish to use IE. City nav. or Topo or what ever maps you have installed on the computer. On the 76cs go to the map page and hit menu then map setup then menu again (I think I don't have mine handy). You should see selections for show / hide for each map type you have installed on the GPSr IE. base map, City nav. , Topo. You can also get there through the set up page. Another thought is that if you have the 24k Topo you might be outside of it's detailed area.

I hope this makes sense.

Yeah i tried the GPS menu setup and messed around there, but I still get the plain old view with jut a few lines. There not even countour lines, but a line here and there with elevation numbers on them.

Also I tried the drop down box on the actual computer, but that didn't show anything, but what types of maps I had like topo, or city navigator(east, west,...)

I already messed around with all buttons, but nothing seems to work. As far as getting the view of a detailed topo map (just like the back of the box shows).

I hope I don't have to, but I might just end up getting the National geographic software. Another 100 dollars......

I'll keep messing around with it. Until then keep any suggestions comming, and thanks for your help everyone.