Tomtom Poi Files

De Wuidara

Hi there,

it would be very nice to have a possibility to download all caches of a country or region as TOM TOM POI File. I am travelling very much by car and would like to use the very smart "navigate over" function of TT5 to find caches along my route.

I've tried to convert the gpx of a PQ with GSAK, but the limitation of 500 caches makes it impossible to get the whole region (e.g. Bavaria / Germany).

Greetings from Munich

De Wuidara (Robert)

It's unlikely that GC.com will do anything that allows you to get more than 500 caches at a time. Running PQs is intensive, and the files are non-trivial in size, so there are both server/database load and bandwidth issues to consider. For such a large database, there needs to be some limit. Also, I'm pretty sure that another function of the limit is to make it difficult for someone to get a complete "copy" of the cache database.

The caches along a route feature is often discussed. There's supposed to be something in the works from TPTB, but it's been in the pipeline for quite a while, and we don't know where it stands on their priority list. For now, your best bet is to create multiple overlapping PQs that each have less than 500 caches.

I've tried to convert the gpx of a PQ with GSAK, but the limitation of 500 caches makes it impossible to get the whole region (e.g. Bavaria / Germany)

You can do five PQs per day, seven days a week. You'll simply have to create more than one PQ to cover the area you want if there are more than 500 caches there.

Jamie

I've tried to convert the gpx of a PQ with GSAK, but the limitation of 500 caches makes it impossible to get the whole region (e.g. Bavaria / Germany).
I think you are not realizing that you can load multiple GPX files into the same GSAK database to create as large a database as you like. For duplicates it keeps only one record.

This may get a little technical but bear with me.

I downloaded lots of PQ's for dates set ie 01/01/02 until 01/06/02 (all the caches set in that period for the country UK). This did take a lot of playing with until I found someone in the UK had already done this and could give the a list of the dates I needed. Once up to date all I do is create a rolling PQ for new ones within the last week.

All these files are then put into GSAK and a tomtom POI file taken from that.

This did take a bit of playing around with to get the right dates but I now have one file for tomtom and one file in GSAK that I can load onto my PDA.

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: My tomtom (ver 3) on the PDA holds all 8000 caches within the UK. I cannot have more than 30 POI files but caches only count as one file. The one file can be as large as you like.

Edited by simmofamily