Can't Unlock City Select

waumpuscat

I have a new GPS V with version 7. Went through the unlock wizard and got an additional unlock code for my legend. The Garmin website shows both of units with the unlock codes and serial numbers and shows them now as unlocked, but when I open Mapsource it shows City Select as locked and must unlock to proceed. What I have I done wrong?

Phil

Thanks all, I have an email into unlock@garmin.com and am waiting for directions from those guys. I have cut and pasted unlock codes and may end up trying a re install. Sure is frustrating when you are trying to get up and running. Thanks for the help.

I'd appreciate if you could keep us posted, so nextime if the same problem occurs to someone else, we would be able to help more.

thanks

Here's another thing to check...it may be obvious but check anyways. :P Did you actually install CitySelect v7? If you don't have it actually installed (or have only a previous version installed), you may be getting the error message since the unlock code is tied to both the GPS and the version of CitySelect. Let us know how this turns out for you.

Serg, thanks for the suggestion. On initial loading of the dvd it cranked up and went through the entire installation process including the unlock wizard that walks you through loading of the unlock codes. I can't help but believe that this was done correctly due to the web page showing the unlocks and the wizard telling me it was done. Upon opening Mapsource I have City Select available but it shows "map detail locked" highlighted in yellow in the bottlom right hand corner. The only option available to unlock is to either use control u or utilities to unlock maps. Upon doing either one of these it launches the unlock wizard and the process starts all over again(asking for the unlock codes) I have completed this at least 3 times and confirmed on the web page showing my unlock codes, but cannot get the maps to unlock. Surely Garmin and get me going.

Phil

Very odd. Sounds like you have a glitch in MapSource since you seem to have done everything correctly. Did you verify that the unlock codes are in fact installed in MapSource? Start the unlock wizard in MapSource, select "view my installed unlock codes" then press the next button. A box should come up with the installed MapSource regions installed along with the GPS that is unlocked for the region. Click on a GPS displayed and then click the "properties" button. Verify the region/GPS & it's unlock code are correct. If you don't have any displayed, then the problem may be within MapSource. If it was me, I'd try a full re-install of CitySelect & MapSource by uninstalling it, then deleting the Garmin folder & all Garmin related keys in the Windows registry and then repeat the install process. I'd wait though for Garmin's response to see what they say if you feel uneasy about doing this or editing the Windows registry.

Edited by SergZak

From within Mapsource, you can open the unlock wizard from the menu. I have a Swedish installation, so I can't say exactly what the menu item is called, but you'll find it, I'm sure. It's to the right, just left of the Help menu.

When you've accessed the unlock wizard, click Next and then View my installed codes (or something like that). In this list, you should have City Select 7 mentioned, and if you highlight it and click on Properties, then you should find your code there.

If that's all right, then the code is in Mapsource, and if it doesn't work in your GPS, then it may be the wrong code. This assuming it indeed is this map product you have selected and are trying to transfer to the GPS.

:) I spoke with Garmin and we discovered that the wrong codes were sent with the software. They had sent codes for the NT version of City Select and the version that is needed for the GPS V is not NT. After issuing new codes, the maps unlocked exactly as they should. Best customer support I have experienced in my memory. Thanks everybody for trying to help. I sure learn alot on this forum.

Phil