Used Mapsource Software

FWSquatch

I'm new at this, so maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but I was looking at some of the Garmin Mapsource software and MAN IS IT PRICEY! So I looked on eBay and found some people selling it used. Will used software work? I know that a lot of software has a key that once registered, renders the software useless to the next buyer. Is that the case with Garmin software? Also, if I must buy it new, where can I find it the cheapest?

I bought a version of MapSource Topo off of eBay a while back. It had the package with it and the key. I don't think the software was used however. I paid like $60 for it rather than the $100 so I saved a bit of money.

If you buy it from a reputible ebayer then you shouldn't have any problems. If you buy it from a guy with a low rating then I would beware. Not saying that the seller is crooked, just keep your eyes open and be an informed buyer.

Metroguide, Topo, Roads and Rec and a few others are not locked. On these it does not matter whether or not they are used. City Select and City Nav are locked, and require an unlock code to be used. If you buy one of these locked products off ebay make sure it is listed as "New", because if the previous user has used all the unlock codes, it will be worthless to you.

"edited for spelling"

Edited by CenTexDodger

The locked software such as City Select is able to be installed and unlocked on TWO units only. If both unlock keys are used then the software is useless unless you purchase a new unlock key from Garmin. If it has only been installed on one unit (determined by the Unit ID that is embedded in the machine) it can still be unlocked on one other unit.

I have no idea if selling the software with one install left on it is sanctioned by Garmin or if it is considered a violation of the software license.

I bought my City Select software from a reputable vendor on eBay and it was new and unused. I ordered it as v6 and was going to do the free upgrade to v7 but when it came I was pleased to see that they had actually shipped me the DVD with v7. It was definitely cheaper than buying from Garmin.