Time To Take The Offensive!

I think as a community we need to rethink the way we're presenting our game to the public. Of course getting permission from land managers is key to maintaining a good community image, but rather than just trying to prove we're not a bain on society, we need to push the POSITIVE aspects of our game.

I think it starts with getting the message of CITO out to the public.

It infuriates me to think we're jumping through hoops to get our game accepted because it's considered geo-litter when I pick up gobs of REAL litter everytime I'm out. As a whole, I don't think it's geocachers that are dropping all the trash in the local park areas. (I was unfuriated yesterday by the mountains of trash I found at a local park yesterday while caching) Why are we on the defensive? We're not the problem, but we can certainly be the solution. Rather than going to the land managers with hat in hand, begging to place a cache, I believe we need to let them know they've got a serious litter problem, and we cachers will help them out with it. I believe if land managers knew what kind of people most geocachers are (there's exceptions in every group) they would not only allow geocaching, they'd WELCOME it.

We must combat the image of geo-littering, wildlife destroying, scorched earth maniacs, laying waste to all in their path in order to find a camo'd box in the woods! (okay, if this describes you, please accept my apology)

If a park suddenly didn't allow the Boy or Girl Scouts to not come to their parkand enjoy scouting activities, the local public would be outraged, because they're viewed as a group that benefits society as a whole. We must work to elevate Geocaching's image to that level, by letting people know that we support litter abatement, care for the upkeep of our local parks and facilities, and are generally good stewards of the land.

CITO is, in fact, one of the best tools to use when trying to gain acceptance of geocaching from a land manager. If you do a CITO Event, and a park official is staring at the collected mound of 50 trash bags and a truckload of old tires, that is a terrific time to have a conversation about geocaches in the park. "Oh, by the way... you don't have a problem with our group putting some geocaches in the parks, so long as they follow the Geocaching.com rules, do you?" I've had that conversation several times, and I've never heard anyone say "no."

Rule 1. You can't log the event as a find unless you sign the event logbook, and you can't do that without producing a few bags of CITO'd trash.

In our area we're working on having permanent CITO container caches placed in some parks at the headquarters. It's key then that if someone visits the cache that they actually DO some CITO, so a requirement will be to supply a picture of your CITO with your log.

I think as a community we need to rethink the way we're presenting our game to the public. ... We must work to elevate Geocaching's image to that level, by letting people know that we support litter abatement, care for the upkeep of our local parks and facilities, and are generally good stewards of the land.

Yes, we are good stewards, in several ways. I am reminded of an editorial published in Today's Cacher, May 2004.

...Every time we speak about geocaching and every time we are observed caching we are the unofficial voice for our hobby...

:ninja::ninja:

We recently held a CITO event in my area. We contacted the local newspaper and told them what we were doing and they sent a reporter and photographer out to cover the story. When you hold a CITO event it is important that YOU contact the media. They have no way of knowing that you are going to perform a community service unless you let them know in advance.

When contacting the media it is a very good idea to put together a "fact sheet" for them. That way they can get the event organizer's name spelled correctly and other pertinant information correct in their story. Include all pertinant names, dates, local group name, etc. Make sure it contains the acronym CITO along with an explanation of what it stands for. Don't attempt to write the article for them - that will just annoy them. Do include all important facts.

If you contact the media in advance and give them the fact sheet to work from there is a good chance they will actually report the event and possibly send a reporter and photographer out to the CITO event site while you are there. This is one of the best ways to show folks we more of a solution rather than a problem.

The CITO idea is just fine and works well. Everyone likes a clean park. But we all know that not every cacher CITOs on EVERY hunt. Heck, I don't. It just isn't reality. It's a warm fuzzy that you and I and everyone else practice occasionally.

THE REAL MESSAGE IS GEO-TOURISM.

EVERY, geocacher needs GAS, FOOD, LODGING, etc......

State and local governments that are blind to geo-tourism and wish to ban geocaching will LOSE MONEY in the long run.

Geo-tourism is growing! I give you GeoWoodstock III as a case in point. I drove from Houston to Jacksonville JUST FOR THE EVENT. All the money I spent on gas, food, lodging benefitted the local economy. I spent almost $1,000 that week and that was JUST ME. Hundreds of people were there and drove from as far away as California and the PNW. Thousands were spent on airfare. Heck, we had people there from Germany and Norway that came to Jacksonville for NO OTHER REASON than to geocache and attend that event.

A serious study of the impact to the local economy for GeoWoodstock IV should start NOW. The DFW area is going to be at least $100,000 dollars richer after GWIV. That's not huge on convention terms, but it's nothing to sniff at either. If that much money floods the local economy for one weekend local governments have to REALIZE that geocachers are benefiting the areas that they visit EVERY SINGLE DAY and not JUST by picking up trash.

Geocachers vote with their wallets wayyy more often than we go to the polls. WE ARE a force to be reckoned with if we just make the effort to PROVE IT.

Edited by Snoogans

The Geo-Tourism point is excellent. As an example I will mention the Midwest GeoBash, held in Northwest Ohio. Geocachers filled the entire campground at a State Park, and every hotel within two interstate exits either way was booked solid. All those campers bought ice, groceries, firewood and other supplies locally. With campsites running $50 for two nights, or a motel room at $150 for two nights, and an average spend of just $25 per person at local restaurants, gas stations, ice cream stands, etc., 600 geocachers easily pumped $50,000 into the local economy's gross sales that weekend.

A state park across the border in Indiana, just an hour or so to the west, was selected initially as the location for the Midwest GeoBash. The person contacted at that park didn't like geocachers, so the organizers looked at Ohio instead. That park in Indiana was very quiet on GeoBash weekend. The same will be true for next year, when this mega-event moves north to Michigan.

Actually Yamahammer, that's exactly our plans. We can discuss at the Down Home meeting...

On to Snoogans point- You're exactly right, and I appreciate you expanding the scope of the conversation. My point is not just CITO- it's much broader than that. It's about changing the perceptions of non-geocachers towards our hobby. There's MANY positives to mention-

1.) Spending money aka geotourism

2.) Leaving nature better than we found it (CITO)

3.) Excellent health alternative to sitting on the couch watching t.v. Mall walking, only fun!

4.) Great hobby for families. It's rare to find an activity that seems to enjoyed by such varied demographics

Etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. (Insert your observation here _______)

The point is it seems like we're DEFENDING our activity so often, that we forget to stand up and shout the positives. Do hackey sackers, or frisbee golfers, or scouts, or motorcycle clubs CONSTANTLY have to defend their hobby as much?!? Do their activities benefit others as much as geocaching? Snoogans is right- My money and my time is well spent in local communities in playing this game, and it's high time we quit back-pedaling and let the positives be known to the outside!

In our area we're working on having permanent CITO container caches placed in some parks at the headquarters. It's key then that if someone visits the cache that they actually DO some CITO, so a requirement will be to supply a picture of your CITO with your log.

As WalruZ mentioned, I am pushing this idea as a way to get caching into our parks in a positive way. Here is the text of what I have proposed:

CITO Cache

I was recently invited to give a presentation on Geocaching to a group of rangers and land managers from around the Bay Area. No parks in our area had put in place any formal policies on caching, and everyone was interested in learning about it, and discussing the pros and cons. As we discussed what geocaching was all about, the idea they found the most compelling was CITO. Litter in the parks has always been a problem, and they were excited to hear about the program.

I am proposing we build on this program by taking it to another level, a specific CITO cache.

What is a CITO Cache?

This cache would be much like a traditional cache with a physical container and log. But instead of trade items it would contain only CITO canisters (film cans with a plastic bag and a glove). Placement of the cache would be in a visitor center, ranger station or park entry kiosk. Cachers would stop by to pick up a canister and sign the log, then drop off the empties after they are through.

Reason for the Cache

· The reasoning is that this cache serves an important PR role with our parks.

· Placement is for maximum visibility to parks personnel. They would see all cachers coming into the park for this cache, and get a chance to get to know us under the best conditions.

· Placement would be in full cooperation with parks personnel. They might even be co-listed as owners, or would be encouraged to list the cache themselves. This brings them into active participation.

· This cache type would be used to break the ice. Use this to start the conversation with the park. Park personnel would be less likely to say no to a cache that has a direct and visible benefit to them. There are no issues here of “pipe bombs” or off-trail placements. This would serve as an introduction that leads to further discussions and understanding.

· Optionally, I would go a step further and make the cache an ammo can, just to get them used to that sort of cache, in a positive way.

Specifications

· The cache would be clearly labeled as a CITO cache, with all instructions on the label so park personnel do not require training.

· It should be large enough to hold 30 or more canisters (depending on the average activity for that area), and perhaps room to replace empties for later refilling.

· CITO canisters could also be labeled with something like “This Park District encourages all cachers to practice CITO. Cache on!”

· Caches must be placed in a staffed position within the park, such as a visitor center or ranger station.

Finally, I would propose that this be a unique cache type to insure uniformity and allow cachers the opportunity to plan a visit when they have time to clean up. The unique icon would be an added incentive for many cachers to give this a try.

Actually Yamahammer, that's exactly our plans. We can discuss at the Down Home meeting...

On to Snoogans point- You're exactly right, and I appreciate you expanding the scope of the conversation. My point is not just CITO- it's much broader than that. It's about changing the perceptions of non-geocachers towards our hobby. There's MANY positives to mention-

1.) Spending money aka geotourism

2.) Leaving nature better than we found it (CITO)

3.) Excellent health alternative to sitting on the couch watching t.v. Mall walking, only fun!

4.) Great hobby for families. It's rare to find an activity that seems to enjoyed by such varied demographics

Etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. (Insert your observation here _______)

The point is it seems like we're DEFENDING our activity so often, that we forget to stand up and shout the positives. Do hackey sackers, or frisbee golfers, or scouts, or motorcycle clubs CONSTANTLY have to defend their hobby as much?!? Do their activities benefit others as much as geocaching? Snoogans is right- My money and my time is well spent in local communities in playing this game, and it's high time we quit back-pedaling and let the positives be known to the outside!

I couldn't agree more! This link is a copy of a presentation I gave locally to parks personnel, and emphasizes the good points of caching, though it also addresses the cons in a straight forward way.