Who's Watching?

Iowa Tom

I am curious if there is a way to know what geocachers are watching your caches. I know that 1 watcher is the owner but any more than that includes other people. I would think the owner of a cache would have that knowledge as an option. If not, why not?

Anybody have any idea?

Iowa Tom

I am curious if there is a way to know what geocachers are watching your caches. I know that 1 watcher is the owner but any more than that includes other people. I would think the owner of a cache would have that knowledge as an option. If not, why not?

Anybody have any idea?

Iowa Tom

I don't think the owner is listed as a "watcher" I think he/she automatically gets sents activity. So if the cache pages says: "You are 1 of 3 people watching this cache" There are actually 4 people getting emails about activity.

Owners aren't counted in the total of watchers. Indeed, if an owner tries to add the cache to their watchlist, they are stopped.

Owners can't see who is watching their caches. The reason is to let people watch without giving up any privacy.

If an owner wants to know who is watching, the best way to find out is to post a note asking to be contacted by the watchers.

The number of watchers is illusory anyways, as many others could be reading your cache page regularly via pocket queries, and/or getting e-mail notifications of log entries by putting the cache on a bookmark list. For example, since the introduction of bookmark lists I now watch fewer than 10 caches on my player account's watchlist, whereas I have well over 100 caches on various bookmark lists.

In previous posts such as this one, Jeremy has indicated that he may remove this information from the cache page entirely.

Anybody have any idea?

Iowa Tom

I can tell you I am one of those people watching your caches as I watch a lot of caches in Eastern Iowa. So if there's only 1 watcher... :o