Lowrance Lock-up

Okys

:anitongue: Has anyone else had a problem with their IFinder Go2 locking up? Mine has done it several times and nothing will work. I have to take out the battery to even get it to turn off and reset? I have only had it a couple of weeks and this is the first time I have had anything like this and wonder if I am doing something wrong? Very frustrating!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a similar problem with my Airmap, it is very flusterating. Can you describe the problem some?

I will say Lowrance service is very friendly. They did right by me. They will work with you, but expect to send the unit in. If you do send it to them you'll probably get a replacement unit, but I can't be for certain they will.

My problem was at startup, but my unit is pretty different from the Go2.

Good Luck, wish I could be more helpful cause I know how annoying stuff like that is. From my experience Lowrance will treat you good, the service techs are friendly, but will probably want you to send in the unit.

I do know one way to reset the unit, it works on I-Finders, but it may also work on a GO. When the unit is off hold the pages key and press the power key. This "Might" (Am not positive about the Go2) reset the unit.

Okys - Check your firmware version. If you have version 1.2.0 it has a bug that sometimes causes lockups - particularly when zooming in/out. Version 1.3.0 of the firmware fixes the issue (plus fixes some other bugs). Contact Lowrance and tell them your problem. They'll send you a postage paid return sticker and will fix it and return it for free. The only drawback is that you may not have your unit for 3 weeks or so - depending on shipping times.

Contact Lowrance and tell them your problem. They'll send you a postage paid return sticker and will fix it and return it for free. The only drawback is that you may not have your unit for 3 weeks or so - depending on shipping times.

Reason #7 to buy a GPS with PC connectivity. <_<

Edited by briansnat

I just bought an iFinder Go and while it hasn't locked up, it will only get a fix about 1 out of 10 times I try to use it. I called customer service and while they gave me a reference number to return it, they never mentioned pre-paid postage OR the free repair even though it's still under warranty. I'm quite frustrated with my purchase as well...

After you get your RA# tell them you'd like a shipping label. I sent mine in a couple times and paid myself, but they should give you a label. BTW, they ship FedEx, so you'll have to find a drop off point.

Lowrance IMO is a good company to deal with, they are about the nicest group of Techs I dealt with.

briansnat - yeah, not fun to be without your GPSr for a few weeks, but at least you aren't stuck with a firmware bug "forever" (like some may assume if you don't have a PC interface). When I shipped mine back I just continued to cache using Google Maps until I got it back.

comicgirl - did you already send it in? If so, you can always call customer support and ask if they'll refund your postage.

Airmapper - you don't have to drop it off. You can call FedEx and they'll pick it up. I also agree with your comment about the tech support personnel.

Between three people, we had six different GO2's and they all locked up

within seven month's time. Luckily, the retailer we purchased from stood

behind what they sold and allowed us to upgrade to Garmin's Legend.

Get out while you still can. Great customer service does not make up

for a defective product. Sorry, Lowrance.

I have Firmware v1.30 on my iFinder GO, and no lock ups when I tried to duplicate the problem described, moving the cursor in the map window to a new location, then doing a Quick Save of the position.

[Menu] [Menu] [system Setup] [software Info...] should tell you the version you have.

Reason #7 to buy a GPS with PC connectivity. :o

Gotta agree with briansnat here, iFinder GO's lack of obvious PC connectivity is a big minus. There is a way to download waypoints via an NMEA cable, if you are the hacker type, but no known self-service firmware upgrade is possible. Lowrance is ALWAYS welcome to document any features we don't know about. :lol:

I just bought an iFinder Go and while it hasn't locked up, it will only get a fix about 1 out of 10 times I try to use it. I called customer service and while they gave me a reference number to return it, they never mentioned pre-paid postage OR the free repair even though it's still under warranty. I'm quite frustrated with my purchase as well...

My iFinder GO has impressed me with the speed at which it acquires lock, no matter where I was (I took it 5000 miles away just days after I got it) as long as I'm standing still or moving slow. It DOES have problems acquiring lock from a speeding vehicle (airplane, high speed train) when first turned on, while my eTrex doesn't.

Between three people, we had six different GO2's and they all locked up

within seven month's time. Luckily, the retailer we purchased from stood

behind what they sold and allowed us to upgrade to Garmin's Legend.

Get out while you still can. Great customer service does not make up

for a defective product. Sorry, Lowrance.

True, but this is strictly a firmware problem that can be resolved. My GO has the 1.3 firmware and I've never had a lockup problem.

Here's a little FYI to cheer up the owners of the "lowly" iFinder GO and GO2:

They use the SiRF* chip! You can boast with the Garmin "X" crowd!** :laughing:

I verified this by talking to the cache owner at SiRF's U.S. Headquarters - he works there.

* SiRF Star II instead of III

** ~66.667% effectiveness.

Edited by budd-rdc

Here's a little FYI to cheer up the owners of the "lowly" iFinder GO and GO2:

They use the SiRF* chip! You can boast with the Garmin "X" crowd!** :laughing:

I verified this by talking to the cache owner at SiRF's U.S. Headquarters - he works there.

* SiRF Star II instead of III

** ~66.667% effectiveness.

Funny, I just asked that in another forum, thanks. I thought it was a II and not a III, it does perform well indoors, but not quite like a Garmin "X" unit. I think there's more to reception that just the chip though, I've had a Tom Tom GO 300 (which also uses a SiRF II) indoors and it performed more like an "X" unit. :ph34r: