Members Only Cache?

taralee

OK - I am as new as new can get...heard about this yesterday afternoon, researched it in the evening...bought a GPS at lunch today...and have been printing out caches in my area all day long.

SO...when a cach has a members only or subscribers only icon beside it...does that mean it is OK for me to go to it if I am a member of this site...or does it mean that there is a specific group of cachers that are looking for this one...just want to be clear if it is OK for me to go after that one.

Thanks!

Tara

SO...when a cach has a members only or subscribers only icon beside it...does that mean it is OK for me to go to it if I am a member of this site...or does it mean that there is a specific group of cachers that are looking for this one...just want to be clear if it is OK for me to go after that one.

Thanks!

Tara

A 'premium' member is one that has paid the specific fee to Groundspeak. See

here for more about that.

A Member Only Cache (or MOC, sometimes also called a subscriber only cache) is one that only those 'premium' members can see the webpage for. Anyone with an account can see it on see the link on distance searchs. And anyone thats either very lucky, or maybe very good at math can find the physical cache (very rarely done this way I think). And anyone with an account at geocaching.com (including non-PM accounts) can log every sort of log on the page by manipulating the url of a new log.

But again, a Member Only Cache is one that only those with PM accounts can see the webpage for.

Some of us (or maybe it's just me :cool: ) do not like MOC caches because it discriminates geocachers based on the fact that they pay Groundspeak. But that's just my opinion.

I see you (taralee) have premium membership, so to answer your question, yes, you can hunt MOC caches. You are also proof that MOC caches are not truely designed for "experienced and dedicated" hunters as some would claim.

You are also proof that MOC caches are not truely designed for "experienced and dedicated" hunters as some would claim.

I've never heard anyone say that being a premium member has anything to do with being an experienced cacher. But if they did, it's certainly contrary to the official view:

A Groundspeak Premium Membership provides you with additional features that a basic membership does not provide. Whether you go geocaching every day or only occasionally, many useful tools are available to enhance your geocaching experience.

Some of us (or maybe it's just me :anicute: ) do not like MOC caches because it discriminates geocachers based on the fact that they pay Groundspeak. But that's just my opinion.

I would probably go along with the idea that MOC as a program sucks. Not sure about making a good case for discrimation... but this isn't really the thread for that. The opening poster asked who could find/log them, not what the the opinion of them was <_< .