Garmin Streetpilot 3

The GSP Crew

Hey guys. I have a chance to buy a Garmin SteetPilot 3 for $150. Not sure if it is the Deluxe or not. Color screen. Brand new never used. What I was wondering was if this unit would be good for GeoCaching. I'm suspecting not. Looking at the specifics on the Garmin website the map-scale only goes down to 900 ft. Also it doesn't say anything about WAAS enabled. My friend that has it said she bought it little over a year ago so that she wouldn't get lost. Several months after she bought it she bought a new vehicle that was equiped with a GPS navigation system. So she no longer needs the StreetPilot.

The big problem with the street pilot III is that it is a very large GPS that is designed to use in a car. It will bulky to carry around and eat batteries like there is no tommorow. It will work for Geocaching but something like the Magellan Explorist 210 with 28MB of mamory for $156.00 would be a better choice. Antoher option would be the Garmin legend with 8B of memory, it is an older design but it is still in production, they sell for about $140.00. There is also a Lowarance GPS that will work but I do not recall the model, I am sure IVXIV will have that info.

Thanks for the info guys but what I was looking for is this unit WAAS enabled, and do you think the mapping goes down far enough to make it a good cacheing unit. Curently I am using a Magellan 315. I have my eyes on buying a Garmin Legend C or possibly the Vista C unless the Streetpilot is a better deal.

It will work fine, don't get hung up on WAAS, it the early days of geocaching there was no wass. TRy saying "was not wass" over and over as fasr as you can :anibad:

I was looking for is this unit WAAS enabled

Why? I always keep my WAAS turned off anyway...It slows down processor time too much, and makes no difference to the bottom line anyway.

If you are flying, or out sailing on the ocean, then WAAS is good. But to us "Land Lubbers", I have proved to myself many times over that it is essentially worthless for day to day GPS use.