War Memorials

When I travel I look for war memorials (or cenotaphs). I know of several that small communities have placed after people from their area lost their lives in wars around the world. Often they list the names of those who died in service to their country. It seems like no matter how small the village I travel through (here in Ontario Canada) I see a cenotaph. I figured it might be nice to have a list of them.

bwmick

yes, the POW/MIA category is too strict. i have found several war memorials, but the do NOT say POW/MIA on then so i have not attempted to post them there. it would be nice to have another war memorial category for those that are not POW/MIA. and the ones i have found are not 'cenotaphs' either--for example: the VFW post has a flagpole surrounded by bricks with service persons names and the war they participated in.

these armes forces veterans should get some respect, if not the same level as POW/MIAs.

Edited by ChapterhouseInc

War memorials are very important to us in the UK as almost every community has a memorial to its war dead - usually erected after the First World War. The sheer number of these monuments is testament to the impact that the Great War had on the British psyche. Many have been adapted to accomodate the names of those who fell in the Second World War. There are thousands of war memorials in the UK.

I would suggest that "War Memorials" is a better title than "Cenotaphs" as it suggests grander more imposing structure which is usually only found in large cities in the UK.

A searchable database of the names listed on the UK's war memorials can be found at:

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites...arch/index.html

yes, the POW/MIA category is too strict. i have found several war memorials, but the do NOT say POW/MIA on then so i have not attempted to post them there.

Hi

I like the POW/MIA category as it stands because it pulls out these rarer (at least at my end) memorials and recongises them.

That said, I also like the idea of the broader memorial category.

Regards

Andrew

What appeals to me about a "war memorials" category is that there will be the opportunity for people to add comments about family members/friends who are commemorated on the memorials.

The narrower the category, the less likely that this will happen.

Having said that, subcategories could include POW/MIA memorials.

It's nice to know that my suggestion has international appeal, I like all the fine tuning and tweaking that each new suggestion brings. The comment about the waypoints potentially commemorating friends and family truly is appealing.

Bwmick

Edited by bwmick

I have a great memorial I cant wait to add. It is a memorial to those RAF pilots who died in Arizona while training for flying in WW II. This memorial, located near their gravesite in Arizona, has a ceremony for remembrance each year. Locals and Brits come out to honor them even 60 plus years later.

If you have too rigid well defined categories, little memorials with some history to them like this one might end up not getting listed. Things like this I would want to know about.

I would like to see it include memorials to specific people, specific wars, as well as to general war memorials. Local, national, large, small, to the living or to the dead.