Someone Invent This, Please.

eisenkatze

I'm sure you all have thought of this already, but I couldn't find anything on a search and I know we have a mess of smart people here that can probably manage it...

I think it would be awesome if digital pics had the lat/long embedded in the picture kind of like most cameras will do with the date. You could know right away where the picture came from. Hawt! Do it!

So, yeah...My camera has a std. Mini-usb hookup that is also common on some cel-phones (no tie in)... and then another side to hook up to a gps. So really you would just need a "hack" to alter the cam's software to query the qps when you took a picture, no?

We could sell it and make millions! Market it in Happy Meals with little "Fugawi" plushies and radio spots and flashy banner ads.

Get to work, I'll wait here.

Thanks!

-Ed-

Nikon's new DSLR has a port that (when attached by a cable to your GPS) writes lat/long information to the EXIF data for the picture.

There are ways to do this with software if you sync the camera's clock setting to your GPS. Snap the picture and press the mark button. The software re-writes the EXIF data to include the lat/long. Snoop around and you should be able to find a couple of applications that will do this for you.

Similar, but not exact to what you mention:

National Geographic's Topo Software allows you to attach photos to a waypoint along a path. I"ve seen a few files from their site, that someone has taken a hike, saved their tracklog, and added photos to the point of interest. I assume both the Mac & PC versions have this ability, as well as other NG mapping software.

I also saw a program (for Mac only) called GPS Photo Linker - it's shareware/freeware program, that does similar to what you describe. I've never used it, as I have NG Topo.

FYI - I use mainly Macs. I'd assume that if "GPS Photo Linker" exists for the Mac, there would have to be a similar PC program.

Check out http://www.robogeo.com. This is a great program for georeferencing images.

I agree 100% with Offroute. I tried the free demo version and quickly paid the modest fee to register it. It works very well when I record waypoints at my digital photo locations, then within RoboGeo match one to the other. You can automatically geocode them using your tracklog, but be careful to sync your camera clock exactly with your GPSr time. It creates a .kml (or compressed .kmz) file for opening in Google Earth which is very cool, too. It's a great program!

Similar, but not exact to what you mention:

National Geographic's Topo Software allows you to attach photos to a waypoint along a path.

Check this one out too. It doesn't geocode the photos, but does automtically overlay them on maps and aerial photos as clickable camera icons.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

I think it would be awesome if digital pics had the lat/long embedded in the picture kind of like most cameras will do with the date.  You could know right away where the picture came from.  Hawt!  Do it!

Been done. I read about this a while back in a GIS or GPS trade magazine I get. The camera uses a CF GPS card. Camera plus GPS card lists for $950.

....But I still think "Fugawi" is a better name.

Believe it or not, there is a "Fugawi" out there already. The name brings to mind a grade school story of the famous lost Indian tribe, named the "Where-the-Fugawis".

Bastages! Stole my idea before I even had a chance to have it.

The indian tribe was where I got the idea for the name.

....But I still think "Fugawi" is a better name.

Believe it or not, there is a "Fugawi" out there already. The name brings to mind a grade school story of the famous lost Indian tribe, named the "Where-the-Fugawis".

Bastages! Stole my idea before I even had a chance to have it.

The indian tribe was where I got the idea for the name.

Or if you prefer the G-Rated version, the Hekawi from F-Troop.

A Digital camcorder with a top mounted adaptor for a Geko 201 GPS would be perfect. The cacmcorder could capture the coordinates, waypoint name, city, state, and etc.

With Garmin Mapsource now, you can tie in your photos online or on your hard drive to each waypoint along a tracklog in the Mapsource window. Pretty neat stuff now.