Charity And Caching

Team Maccabee

My kids and I were discussing the cache we're getting ready, what to put in it, where to hide it, etc. My older son had an idea to put a tzedakah ("charity") box in a cache, in addition to some good swag. When cachers found the cache, they could, if they want, put some loose change in the box. When it was full, we would take it and donate it to a local (secular) charity, maybe Northwest Harvest.

What do you all think? Would this be within the guidelines, in your opinions?

Team Maccabee's Abba

My kids and I were discussing the cache we're getting ready, what to put in it, where to hide it, etc. My older son had an idea to put a tzedakah ("charity") box in a cache, in addition to some good swag. When cachers found the cache, they could, if they want, put some loose change in the box. When it was full, we would take it and donate it to a local (secular) charity, maybe Northwest Harvest.

What do you all think? Would this be within the guidelines, in your opinions?

Team Maccabee's Abba

I am glad you pointed out that your intent is "local" and "secular", because your term "tzedakah" certainly suggests otherwise to those of us who understand it, and the translation of it as "charity" is a bit tendentious. Indeed, if the terms were equivalent, you wouldn't have needed to insert that other term.

Anyway, I think you'd have to specify very clearly what it is for, and make sure it is not for a political goal, or otherwise in violation of the GC guidelines for neutrality.

I also agree with RK, of course. The money might be removed, and for that reason I, for one, would not contribute, even if it were a charity I fully endorse. I'd rather make a tax-deductible contribution via normal channels and be sure that it arrives.

שונרא

Ok, good points by both of you, RK and Shunra.

It was an intriguing idea, but I don't want to put anybody off from enjoying the cache, or create controversy with our first cache because of solicitation or choice of charity. I wasn't too worried about theft or trade of the loose change in the tzedakah box (i.e. "box in which loose change goes for later donation to a charity"), because of the low amounts and my (possibly naive) trust of geocachers. Donations to local charities can happen in other ways.

Sometimes a cache should just be a cache. :D

Team Maccabee's Abba

Sometimes a cache should just be a cache. :D

Team Maccabee's Abba

Exactly.

Solicitation of any kind is not allowed on Geocaching.com without express permission from the head office.

Geocachers tend to be very community minded and generous, but I would not feel comfortable leaving money in a cache. I've seen far too many caches go missing. If someone of a lower moral standard learned of your 'collection box' they might watch the cache and use it as their own personal atm.