Now I Am Confused About Stats.

In a thread that was just closed for getting off track, I asked about the integration of waymarks stats with gc.com stats. Waymarks already do show up on my stat page at Waymarking.com. I wanted to know if they will eventually be integrated into one stat page that includes both geocaching and Waymarking? I have looked at several threads here that talk about this, but in the end it is unclear to me what the plans are.

In getting ready for an event today, I talked to several people about waymarks. Everyone believed that their stats page on gc.com would eventually show their waymark count. Can this be clarified for us so we can have an informed discussion this afternoon at the event?

Thanks.

PS. My belief is that Waymarking stats should definitely be included in a stat page combined with all geocaching stats. I think this for two reasons. First, it makes it easier for everyone when looking at another's profile. Secondly, and maybe most importantly, it is great advertising for Waymarking if every time someone clicks on another geocachers profile they see a waymark count. This will encourage people who don't know about Waymarking to check it out. I am very excited about waymarks and want it to become a very busy and popular activity. If it is not reflected in overall stats, this will slow down awareness of Waymarking.

In a thread that was just closed for getting off track, I asked about the integration of waymarks stats with gc.com stats.

I'm pretty sure you will not see any substantial integration between the two sites for quite a long while.

Part of the reason for Waymarking was because land managers kept pointing to virtual caches as the appropriate alternative to traditional caches. Now that virtuals are gone, Groundspeak feels that is an argument land managers can no longer make.

If you start integrating the two sites, land managers can once again start making the Waymarking versus traditional cache argument.

Heck, if Groundspeak had any serious intentions of integrating the two sites, they would never have created Waymarking.com to begin with. They would have simply re-written the virtual cache and locationless presentations and algorithms from within geocaching.com.

I may not have been clear enough in the original post. This has nothing to do with integrating the two sites. What people want is one stat page or at least a spot on the geocaching.com stat page that references Waymarking.

I talked to a few people today at the event and everyone agrees it should work that way. What I think is that if TPTB don't have a reference to waymarks on the geocaching profile stat page, a big opportunity to publicize Waymarking is being missed.

Waymarking will be more successful if it gets the type of exposure that geocaching did when starting out. A big part of this is a new persons education about geocaching is reading the cache logs and forum posts of more experienced cachers. The way I found those when I was starting out was through profiles. I just think waymarks should also be available through profiles.

To be honest, I read your OP the same way DBC read it. It sounds like you want one place to look at the Stats for both sites (Waymarks AND Geocaching). You did use the word "integrate" in the first post :o

Anyway...I'm not sure you'll get an answer from any of TPTB because this issue has been hammered on quite a bit (i.e. I think they got the message loud and clear). Aside from the handful of naysayers, I get the sense that everyone wants what you're asking for.

I think there's so many other things to be done on the Waymarking site, that this one is down "the list" a ways. If I were you, I'd write a bequethe to my next of kin leaving my Stats to someone in the family :) ....just in case it takes awhile.

To be honest, I read your OP the same way DBC read it. It sounds like you want one place to look at the Stats for both sites (Waymarks AND Geocaching). You did use the word "integrate" in the first post :signalviolin:

Yes, you read it correct, integrate the STATS only, not the two websites themselves. Two separate sites with rules etc. applicable to each of the two games. One stat page, or at the very least a place on the gc.con stat page that lists total waymarks found and when you click on that number, you are taken to the waymark stat page.

Simple thing I am getting at is that I am excited about Waymarking and want my waymarks represented on my gc.com stat page so anyone looking at my geocaching stats can see how active I am at Waymarking.com and link over to that site by clicking on my number representing waymark finds.

Easy, free publicity and good encouragement for people viewing another persons stat page check out Waymarking.