Travel Bug Logging Question

CamoCachers

i picked up a travelbug a couple weeks ago whos goal was to move up the knobstone trail (a 50 some odd mile trail that runs through southern indiana) the travel bug was not in a KT cache, but one about 3 miles from the trailhead.

yesterday i made a 5 mile hike from the trailhead to place the bug in the furthest cache along the trail, up to the next access point.

my original plan was to log it into and out of the KT trailhead cache, before i log it into the cache i left it at. that way the bug picks up the mileage i actually took it, instead of straightline between its original cache and its current cache. which would be a couple miles less.

problem is, i didnt write down the tracking number for the bug. so i could drop it in the trailhead cache, but i cant retrieve it to log that its in its current cache. or i could just drop it in its current cache, but it would log less mileage that i actually took it.

can i use the reference number to log a tb out of a cache? or am i stuck logging it into the cache i dropped it into only and cheating the bug out of a few miles?

Since the bug is still in your possession (as far as the site is concerned), you can get the tag number when you log a cache. Down at the bottom of the log page is the list of bugs. Next to each bugs name, is the (tag number). WRITE IT DOWN before making the first drop, then you can use it to grab it again.