Good News And Bad News

caseyb

I have made a few references to this, but I thought I would pass along the official info. The new service, OPUSDB has officially launched. You can now make your own datasheet, and name your own mark. So for you folks who went out and bought a disk and set it on your property, you can now put it in the database and create a real NGS datasheet. Granted you need survey grade equipment (and a few other things) to do it.... but I thought you all might be interested in it. More info can be found at

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/OPUS/OPUS_03.html

(click on the button "register to publish OPUS results" for specifics)

On a much sadder note, I am sorry to report that NGS recently lost an employee to a massive heart attack. Craig Larrimore worked in the Systems Development branch, and had been a resources to me for a lot of your questions. Anytime somebody mentioned that the database was down, Craig was who I went to for answers about what was going on and when it would be back. And if you ever read anything about the status of the database at the ngs webpage, it was Craig who had written it. He passed away last Tuesday night and will be sorely missed.

:o

-Casey-

I once emailed Craig with a problem in one of the programs that are available at the NGS site. It wasn't a huge problem and I had a work around but I just wanted to let me know. His response was immediate, courteous and professional. Within a couple of hours he had a new version posted for me. I wish I had people like him working around me all the time. Please pass along my sympathies to his family and to his colleagues at the NGS.

Roger