1st Geocache About To Be Hidden

mattlemon

Hi, I'm new to Geocacheing and it if wasn't for the Geocache icon on my Garmin I wouldn't know a thing about it now :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm off tomorrow to hide my first cache having gathered together the items that I want to put into it, I've a fair idea where to put it.

Any advice on hiding the cache appreciated, should everything be individually sealed? Should I take photo's to help?

Anyone in and around Dublin, watch out for a new addition tomorrow

:D

Anyone in and around Dublin, watch out for a new addition tomorrow

:rolleyes:

If that's "Dublin, Ireland", you might want to try the UK forum (I don't think there's any political implication either way in that :D).

Otherwise, my best tip is to go and find 5 caches - that will give you plenty of do's and don'ts already.

Thanks for the excitement and willingness to contribute to geocaching!

I am too lazy to dig up links again, but on this thread I provided some links over to Geocacher U that makes for good reading and advice. Naturally, and most importantly, thoroughly read geocaching's guidelines.

I waited until finding 19 or 20 before I hid my first one. I was really glad I waited, since I got a deeper appreciation for the hunt that would go into my first cache, and understood the finer points of what searchers go through. Depending upon the type of cache you are placing, the "good number found" may be somewhat different for you (for example, if you have only found micros, finding some standards may be well advised).

Have fun!

1. Find a good spot. Could be a scenic view, interesting geological feature, historic site, or just a nice walk but give the finder a reason to go there other than the cache.

2. Use a quality, waterproof container (See here for ideas.).

3. Put the logbook in its own Ziploc in case someone doesn't close the lid of your quality, waterproof container correctly.

4. Mark the outside of your container as a geocache and with contact info. An e-mail address will suffice. Insert a letter explaining what it is (see here for a copy.

5. Hide the cache where it is not likely to be accidently found by non geocahers and where geocachers are not likely to be observed looking for it.

6. Maintain your cache. Be ready to respond to reported problems. If you lose interest, please removeit.